Project Management Intern
SMMA is seeking an Intern for its Project Management group to work across all SMMA markets: Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Advanced Technology.
Essential for this role is a desire and commitment to be invested in every aspect of a project, including winning the work, managing and producing it, and closing out.
This position will directly support three to four Project Managers and include managing small-to-large sized projects with their direct supervision.
- Managing project budgets, plans, and schedules with PM supervision
- Scheduling and documenting project meetings
- Coordinating team member participation on projects
- Collaborating and coordinating with clients and contractors
- Creating purchase orders for our Consultants
- Obtaining Certificates of Insurance and other information from our Consultants
- Tracking Limit of Liability and Contract status on all projects
- Assisting with the creation of letter proposals and formal RFP responses
- Creating additional service letters
- Responding to client and Project Manager needs
- Setting priorities and taking ownership of tasks and responsibilities
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree; a degree in Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Construction Management, or Project Management is a plus but not required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong experience using Microsoft Office
- Interest in scheduling or database software is a plus
- Customer service oriented
- Collaborative, relationship-oriented
- Versatile, flexible, and capable of switching between tasks throughout the day and week
- Motivated, accountable
About the Firm
SMMA is one of New England’s most unique design firms due to our composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since our incorporation in 1955, we offer an integrated, multidisciplinary environment driven by collaboration between architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. We focus on building lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
As an employee-owned firm, we believe that good ideas are welcome from anywhere. Our work straddles seven markets—Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Advanced Technology—with the opportunity to work across a wide range of projects and specialisms. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
SMMA was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, we remain dedicated to this flexible, integrated approach. We are guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence, sustainability, and social responsibility.
- Employee-owned firm
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers