Data Analyst/Engineer, Supply Chain Optimization Internship (Spring 2023)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2023 and continue through the entire Winter/Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
Internship Program at Tesla: The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
What You’ll Do
The mission of the Supply Chain Optimization team is to manage strategic projects and continuous improvement efforts to transform Tesla’s Supply Chain organization to be data and systems-driven, robust, and efficient as it scales to support our global programs and our growing worldwide presence.
You will be part of the Supply Chain Data Analytics sub-team which is the key point of contact for reporting, analytics, and insight generation across Supply Chain. You should have strong technical skills, a collaborative style of working, and a proactive and critical mindset. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are crucial, as is the ability to synthesize complex issues and drive desired outcomes. Tesla is a fast-moving, dynamic environment where flexibility and adaptability are key attributes. The successful candidate is a self-starter with a passion for data analytics and data engineering and continuously demonstrates an ability to tackle complex problems and implement solutions.
As a member of the Supply Chain Data Analytics team, you will be required to translate business questions into insightful and action-biased analytics. You will also help with our database management and ETL development work. Your work will have a direct impact on Tesla’s Supply Chain.
- Create and/ or enhance action-driven dashboards (e.g., using Tableau).
- Support ad hoc data, SQL query, analysis, and debugging requests.
- Create and maintain an optimal database schema and data pipeline architecture.
- Create ETL pipelines in Airflow for analytics team members that assist them in building and optimizing their reports.
- Communicate with stakeholders, gather business requirements, and brainstorm KPIs.
- Develop/ maintain internal documentation.
What You’ll Bring
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant program including, but not limited to: Data Analytics, Data Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Proficiency in SQL, and comfort with a scripting language (e.g., Python) is a plus.
- Proficiency with a data visualization tool (e.g., Tableau).
- A good understanding of relational databases and database engineering concepts.
- Familiarity with data pipelines and a Workflow Management Tool (e.g., Airflow) is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication across technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other business and engineering teams, while able to work independently.
- Organized, detail-oriented, execution-focused, relentless and willing to find cracks in the system to expose problems.