Second Order Effects (SOE) is an engineering consultancy that turns uncertainty into fully functional hardware and software. We work on projects at various stages of development and scope; we perform analysis, build prototypes, and take products to market. Our clients come to us with napkin sketches, fully fleshed ideas, and patent portfolios to productize. Our cross-disciplinary team solves critical problems across numerous industries, including automotive, aviation, consumer electronics, industrial automation, medical, green energy, and space. Our designs control rocket engines, manage satellite communications, generate safety-overrides for self-driving cars, and are enjoyed by consumers around the world. Founded in 2016, Second Order Effects has 90+ employees (and counting!) in offices in El Segundo, California and Redmond, Washington.
As a part of the Operations team, you will collaborate with our executive team and other teams across the company on a regular basis. Our team members gain a deep understanding of our business and are capable of understanding and anticipating the needs of our employees and customers while maintaining a professional approach in all scenarios.
As an Operations Coordinator, you will assist with various aspects of operations, finance, purchasing, and internal company infrastructure. Ideally, you will also be an enthusiastic ambassador for SOE and care deeply about company growth.
What You Will Do:
- Deploy and maintain company-wide systems, infrastructure, and special projects
- Coordinate with Purchasing teams for inventory management and interfacing with vendors
- Coordinate with Business Development teams for proposals and contracts
- Coordinate with Project Management teams to deploy project infrastructure, including project management tools, resource projections, hours reporting
- Coordinate with Finance team to develop project KPIs and build financial models
- Learn about SOE and our projects in order to be knowledgeable when interfacing with technical individuals
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor's Degree (Business, Social Sciences, Statistics, Math, Physics, Engineering, or related field)
- 2+ years of experience in operations, consulting, or related industries
- Analytical and quantitative problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (presentation, verbal, written, numerical)
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential financial or personal information
- Ability to learn quickly and a curiosity for engineering
- High level of empathy and patience with others
- High level of organization and excellent attention to detail
What Would Be Useful:
- Master’s degree (MBA, Engineering, or related field preferred)
- Experience working in a startup/tech/consulting environment, prioritizing, and managing numerous responsibilities concurrently
- Experience in aerospace, automotive, consumer electronics, medical devices, or robotics industries
- Demonstrated ability working independently and in large multidisciplinary teams
- Understanding of technical requirements, engineering projects, and working with engineering teams
- Experience working with legal contracts, including drafting, negotiation, amending standard templates, etc.
- Experience with Quickbooks, Confluence, Jira, CRM tools, and ATS
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g., C++, Python, R, etc.)
- Applicant must be willing to work 40 hours a week on-site in El Segundo, California, USA
- Applicant must be eligible to work on ITAR projects
- Job Type: Full-time (Salary)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- Competitive compensation + equity incentive plan
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision) for employees + 50% dependent coverage
- Flexible paid time off policy + 11 paid holidays + 12 paid sick days
- 401(k) retirement account and employer matching (Safe Harbor 4%)
- Hybrid working arrangements
- Paid parental leave
- Relocation assistance available if 50+ miles away from the office
- Electric Vehicle (EV) charging ports
- Daily catered lunches, snacks, and accessible kitchen
- & more!
If you don’t meet 100% of the preferred skills and experience, we encourage you to still apply!
Second Order Effects is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SOE is governed on the basis of excellence and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.