Student Trainee (Engineering and Architecture)
Would you like to work for us during your summers? We have one vacancy in our Cost Engineering Branch. The Student Intern Program offers post-secondary students 12 weeks of full-time employment, up to 480 hours, during the summer months.
Open & closing dates: 09/20/2022 to 10/30/2022.
Salary: $32,570 - $41,967 per year.
To learn more and apply: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/677983200.
As a Student Trainee (Engineering and Architecture), the incumbent will work under closer supervision performing assignments and completing training. At the full-performance level, you will be expected to:
- Perform a variety of standardized and non-standardized engineering tasks to accomplish or provide technical support on assigned projects.
- Assist in design analysis and modifications by compiling, computing, tabulating and making graphic or model presentations of pertinent data.
- Review specifications, drawings, technical reports and other documentation.
- Research standard references, guides, precedents and other sources to obtain pertinent technical information.
- Prepare drawings and sketches using familiar methods, procedures and data inputs.
- Conduct tests on materials and equipment which involves collecting and preparing samples, adjusting and operating equipment, recording instrument readings and evaluating test data.
Conditions of Employment
- A trial or probationary period may be required in accordance with agency policy.
- A post-secondary student appointment expires 120 days after completion of the designated academic course of study, unless the student is selected for noncompetitive conversion.
- May be converted to a permanent appointment in the competitive service, to include the conversion out grade at the GS-05 or GS-07 and corresponding full performance grade at the GS-11 or GS-12.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- If converted selectee may be required to meet additional conditions of employment.
- If converted to a permanent position, selectee may be provided relocation assistance subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- The Student Intern Program offers post-secondary students 12 weeks of full-time employment, up to 480 hours, during the summer months.
- Employment dates will vary depending on when summer break begins for each college, however, the earliest start date is the end of May.
- Actual length of employment is contingent upon budget and workload.
- Employment is intended to continue each subsequent year during the summer months while the student is enrolled in a degree program.
The selectee/s MAY be non-competitively converted to a career/career-conditional appointment within 120 days of successful completion of academic program.
Pay will vary by grade level and geographic location.
Who May Apply: To be eligible for consideration you must meet the definition of post-secondary student as defined below:
Post-Secondary Student: a person who, (1) is currently enrolled in, and in good academic standing at, a full-time program at an institution of higher education; and (2) is making satisfactory progress towards receipt of a baccalaureate or graduate degree; and (3) has completed (or will complete by December 2022) at least one year of the program.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social).
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant education and experience.
Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
GS-03 Minimum Qualifications:
Education: To qualify at the GS-03 level, students must have completed (or will complete by December 2022) 1 academic year of post-high school study (one year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university).
GS-04 Minimum Qualifications:
Education: To qualify at the GS-04 level, students must have completed (or will complete by December 2022) 2 academic years of post-high school study or associate's degree (two years of full-time academic study is defined as 60 semester hours, 90 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university).
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Post-secondary students being considered for initial appointments to positions leading to target positions with positive education requirements should be enrolled in directly-related degree programs in order to meet the OPM qualification requirements for the target position upon completion of their academic program.
Must be in good academic standing and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average or equivalent, as eligibility criteria.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- A Post-Secondary Student Participant Agreement is required for post-secondary students.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 16 - Engineers and Scientists (Non-Construction) position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Post-secondary students will initially be appointed to a term appointment in the competitive service for a period expected to last more than 1 year not to exceed 4 years; they may be non-competitively converted to a career or career-conditional appointment within 120 days of successfully completing the qualifying academic program.
- Selectee/s may be selected at any grade level with non-competitive promotion potential to target grade. Non-competitive promotion potential to the target grade is based on time-in-grade requirements and demonstrated ability to perform the higher graded duties.
- Non-competitive promotion potential to the target grade is based on time-in-grade requirements and demonstrated ability to perform the higher graded duties.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/.
- May be eligible for Situational Telework only, including emergency and OPM prescribed "Unscheduled Telework".
- If selected, official college or university transcripts must be submitted. However, unofficial transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.
- Additional financial incentives, such as recruitment or relocation incentives, may be offered for difficult to fill positions.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External)
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- You must submit a copy of your transcript to determine eligibility under this hiring authority. Further, if you claim qualifications based on education and do not submit a supporting transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found not qualified. See: Transcripts and Licenses
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/30/2022 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11654069).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.