Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellowship
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like:
Are you looking to perform innovative research in data science? Are you excited about research informed by real-world needs? Are you passionate about impacting problems of national importance? If so, consider the possibilities afforded by Sandia’s Data Science Fellowship.
We are now accepting applications for the Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellowship. This is a prestigious postdoctoral research fellowship with funding from Sandia’s Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program. As a Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellow, you will:
- Address complex problems in support of broad-ranging national security areas
- Collaborate with highly motivated researchers on challenging research questions using innovative computational resources
- Present your work at leading publication and conference venues
We seek researchers with a background and interest in the broadly defined and interdisciplinary domain of data science to include mathematics, computer science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistical methods, and related areas. We are particularly interested in applicants excited by the prospect of advancing data science techniques and applying them to scientific and engineering applications relevant to Sandia’s diverse missions, which includes energy systems and power grid, cyber security, operations research, geospatial analysis, autonomous vehicles, and many other national security domains.
The selected Fellow will receive a two-year appointment with the potential option for a third year, which includes a highly competitive salary, moving expenses, and a generous professional travel allowance.
As a data science fellow, you will pursue a combination of both self-directed research in your topic area and integration with existing Sandia R&D projects, under the guidance of Sandia staff mentors. A proposal for your research plan will be requested as part of the interview process, and you will be expected to publish the results of your work in leading journals and present your work at top-tier conferences.
Sandia National Laboratories is dedicated to nurturing a culture compatible with a broad group of people and perspectives. Consistent with this dedication, we seek applicants from diverse backgrounds, and we foster an inclusive research community.
To apply, please do the following:
- Submit a single PDF file containing your cover letter, CV, and a 3-5 page research proposal
- Have three letters of recommendation submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with "2022 DS Fellowship" as the subject line
Complete applications received through November 7, 2022 will receive full consideration.
Qualifications We Require:
- You have completed, or are pursuing, a Ph.D. in a data science related area, such as mathematics, computer science, statistics, or engineering, conferred within the past three years, or anticipated completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Your background includes appropriate research experience in one or more of the areas above as evidenced by a strong record of research publications and presentations
- A compelling research proposal to be conducted as a Data Science Fellow that has relevance to computational, scientific, engineering, or analysis work at Sandia
- No previous postdoctoral appointments at a national laboratory
- You can acquire a DOE security clearance which requires US Citizenship
Qualifications We Desire:
Ideally, your background would also include some of the following:
- Ability to work in collaborative, interdisciplinary research environments alongside specialists in other domains
- Related professional experience such as internships in industry or at other national labs, participation in visiting research programs, etc.
- Proven research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, outreach activities, etc.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Software development experience in C++, C, Matlab, R, Python, Julia, or related languages
- A commitment to encouraging an inclusive culture, as proven through your application materials
About Our Team:
One of the country's largest research facilities, Sandia employs over 13,000 people in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California, in an exciting and highly collaborative multidisciplinary work environment. Our mission areas include nuclear weapons, energy, nonproliferation, defense, infrastructure, homeland security, counterterrorism, cybersecurity. Data Science touches most of Sandia’s diverse missions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Job ID: 685466