Deputy Director, Technical Systems, EIC
The Technical Systems Division of the EIC has an opening for an experienced Engineering Manager to serve as the Deputy Division Director. The state-of-the-art high current accelerators that will be designed, assembled, and installed for the EIC have complex physics and engineering challenges. Successful delivery of these accelerators requires clear definition and delineation of scope, accurate and clear specifications for engineering and support groups, close attention to safety requirements for system design and operations, and effective communication and coordination between EIC divisions to engineer, design, build, install, and commission these systems. The deputy participates in and supports the leadership of the division in all these key activities and also supports the management of the staff in the division.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with and report to the EIC Management Leadership team for assignments, guidance, and support. Collaborate with EIC project leads, the project management group, other engineering teams and scientific group leaders and staff to provide engineering support, interfaces, and guidance for the design of EIC accelerator equipment and components.
- Work closely with the EIC engineering group supervisors and the engineering and design team within the Technical Systems Division, to manage and oversee individual engineering projects, set priorities, and develop project plans that define and document scope, labor, and material resources, schedules, and procurement plans. Then the subsequent tracking and reporting on these projects through to completion.
- Build and maintain a diverse and inclusive workforce in a professional, productive, respectful work environment. Supervise, guide, and develop the EIC engineering and design staff with high standards for quality of work and to meet anticipated workload requirements.
- Ensure that qualified staff are assigned to carry out the technical tasks. Develop and maintain the supporting infrastructure for the group staff.
- Oversee the development of specifications, drawings, and other procurement documentation, the review of vendor proposals and bids, the interface and follow up with vendors/fabricators during manufacturing, travel for design meetings and the testing and commissioning of new systems.
- Oversight of coordination of the technical staff for fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment in the BNL shops and facilities.
- Present engineering and design presentations for BNL and Department of Energy reviews as well as advise and oversee the development and execution of reviews by the Technical Systems Division staff.
- Ensure that the group continues to follow BNL safety standards and national safety and equipment codes. Oversee the development of work planning procedures, hazard analyses, safety reviews, development of operating procedures manuals, and oversee the conduct of operations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS/BE/MS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or other related engineering or scientific discipline
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of relevant technical experience with a demonstrated record of successes with progressively increasing responsibilities, including at least five (5) years in a senior engineering role
- Experience working on creative engineering projects, collaborating with a team to develop, design, specify, build, install, and commission unique equipment, large technical systems, and/or industrial complex systems
- Experience leading engineering and technical staff to achieve system and project goals
- Excellent written and oral communication (including presentation) skills and proficiency with standard MS Office tools
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with particle accelerator operations, accelerator and scientific equipment design, fabrication, installation, and maintenance
- Experience with particle accelerators working with scientists, engineers, and technicians to overcome complex and diverse technical challenges and deliver new systems and components which perform as specified
- Systems engineering, project engineering, systems interface, and/or large system installation and coordination experience
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and/or project experience with Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS)
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May require domestic and international travel