Staff Mechanical Engineers
BNL has immediate openings for Staff Mechanical Engineers to join the efforts to design and build BNL’s new Electron-Ion Collider. In this role, you will have opportunities to work with a team of engineers and scientists on a wide range of mechanical components, systems, and equipment. This will include items such as large and small static and dynamic structures, lifting and positioning fixtures, high voltage and high current magnetic and electrostatic devices, Radio Frequency (RF) accelerator cavities and components, vacuum components, cryogenic components, and water/air cooled systems.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine (bnl.gov/eic).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Solid modeling and engineering drawing creation of mechanical components and systems, both parts and assemblies, using 3D modeling and design software.
- Conduct finite element analysis and hand calculations for design validation.
- Support component Specifications and Statement of Work (SOW) for preparation.
- Support componentprocurement, fabrication, assembly, testing and installation efforts.
- Support design and safety reviews.
- Collaborate with scientific, engineering, and technical staff.
- Work independently to plan, coordinate and execute assignments.
- May manage engineering projects, and develop project plans including schedules, needed resources, and budgets.
(Selected candidates will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Experience with 3D Computer Aided Design modeling software.
- Ability to perform mechanical engineering design, analysis, and calculation functions.
- Knowledge of material properties and manufacturing processes.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office and MS Excel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience in the design of mechanical equipment and component systems.
- Experience working hands-on with mechanical equipment and collaborating with a team to develop and build unique equipment.
- Proficiency with 3D Computer Aided Design modeling software.
- Experience with ANSYS or equivalent thermal and stress engineering FEA software.
- Experience with generating engineering analysis reports.
- Experience with vacuum devices, electrical and/or RF systems, optical/laser systems, and electro-magnets
- Knowledge of with ASME/ASCE standards, building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Occasional climbing ladders, moderate lifting up to 30 pounds, and working in the vicinity of operating machinery
- Required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- Occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Some travel may be required
- Selected candidates will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience