Quantitative User Experience Scientist (6130)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Quantitative User Experience Scientist for our Human Factors Practice in Los Angeles (CA) or Phoenix (AZ). In this role you will work as part of the existing and ever-growing team of researchers at Exponent’s Centers for Scientific User Research (CSUR), which include a 6,000-square-foot research center in Phoenix with six labs, many of which are highly specialized (e.g., optometry lab, motion tracking suite, etc.), as well as a lab in Philadelphia focused on medical device work, and a forthcoming lab in New York City. This position, which will be located in Los Angeles, California or Phoenix, Arizona, will be responsible for conducting quantitative approaches to user research studies for major consumer electronics, medical device, industrial equipment, and automotive manufacturers, and for serving as project manager on a potentially large number of such engagements.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting a range of consulting activities that involve quantitative or mixed-method approaches to usability and user experience evaluations. This may include the following:
- Developing computational, sensor-based approaches to answer various research questions related to user behavior and interactions with various products and environments
- Creating or augmenting the data engineering, data analytics, and statistical methodology used to perform in-depth processing of data obtained from such user studies
- Explaining clearly and simply results obtained from the processing of such data (e.g., through comparisons of relevant, scientifically sound metrics)
- Creating scalable, custom software (e.g., in MATLAB, Python and/or R) to perform data engineering, data analysis, and statistics
- Working on multi-disciplinary projects
- Providing project management, data processing, and other project support
- Conducting research to obtain and review third-party technical data, scientific literature, and standards
- Participating in the design and evaluation of warnings and safety information
The ideal candidate for this position possesses a mixed background of applied math, applied physics, or engineering and of cognition, perception, and human decision-making. Candidates should furthermore be comfortable working in a professional engineering and scientific consulting environment, which demands a high degree of self-motivation, dedication, and resilience.
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- A Ph.D. in Experimental or Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science, or a related basic scientific psychology field, and with a background in Math, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Neuroscience, or a closely related technical discipline
- Or a Ph.D. in Math, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Neuroscience, or a closely related technical discipline with background in Experimental or Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science, or a related basic scientific psychology field
- Proven experience with 3D geometry, discrete differential geometry, multivariate analysis, principal components analysis, independent components analysis, and multiple regression analysis
- Strong aptitude and proficiency in at least two of the following: signal processing, image and video processing, computer vision, computer graphics and statistics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Solid foundation in science of cognition, perception, and human decision making
- Consummate project management skills and ability to juggle multiple teams concurrently
- Diplomatic and competent leadership demonstrating capacity to produce accurate work with independence and excellent time management skills
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.