Staff Accountant - Remote
Do you love learning how to build things from scratch while honing your Accounting skills? Are you looking for an accounting role experience that isn't like any other company? We are looking for exactly that kind of person.
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
At Groupon, Accounting isn’t your typical month-end close type of department. While the heart of our day-to-day work is providing financial information to the business, that’s only the tip of the iceberg. We’re building out financial systems to support every new business line and product, so our Accountants get a granular view and understanding of how a business is crafted from the ground up. The knowledge to gain is vast, as is the potential of our organization to continue growing.
As a staff accountant, you will be responsible for various financial and operational accounting aspects of the Groupon North America business. This is a “hands on” accounting role with interaction with different departments (operations, sales, finance, corporate accounting, tax, and treasury) across North America.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a great way to grow your career? Let's get into the details:
You'll spend time on the following:
- You will play a key role in the month-end close process by preparing journal entries and managing various debit and credits surrounding Groupon North America
- Assist Senior Staff Accountants in daily accounting activities and month-end closing procedures
- Examination and booking of entries for Groupon revenue
- Assist with external and internal audit requests, including quarterly reviews and the year-end audit
- Engage with Finance and Tax departments by providing general ledger detail and analysis for financial performance.
- Assist management with Sarbanes-Oxley procedures, tax, and audit requests surrounding North America revenue
- Seek solutions for accounting problems before presenting issues to senior/manager
- Specific projects and other ad hoc assignments as required
We're excited about you if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 1-2 years accounting experience
- Sound understanding of US GAAP or IFRS and month-end processes preferred
- You're comfortable with MS Office, with Excel being your secret favorite
- You're a details person with a penchant for preparing meticulously accurate work
- You're enthusiastic, adaptable, and see challenges as an opportunity to grow
- You thrive in an often-times ambiguous environment
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members, learn more about our inclusive employee groups, and check out our benefits. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.
Groupon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualifications for employment, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment are based upon the ability to perform the job. Equal-employment opportunities are provided to all applicants and employees without regard to race, creed, religion, color, age, national origin, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, military discharge status (excluding dishonorable discharge), veteran status, citizenship status, or other legally protected status. We are all responsible for maintaining this policy. Groupon is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at hraccommodations at groupon.com. If you have concerns related to Groupon’s equal employment opportunities, you may contact Groupon’s Ethics Reporting Service Ethicspoint.