Special/Alternative Education Teacher (SPED)
Special Education (SPED) Teacher
$2,000.00 sign-on bonus! This opportunity is Full Time and offers full benefits, generous paid time off, and competitive pay.
Liberty Point Behavioral Healthcare is actively seeking a highly-motivated individual with strong leadership skills, impeccable communication skills, flexible work hours, strong interpersonal skills, and sharp attention to detail to fulfill the role of certified/endorsed Special Education Teacher (Alternative Education) in our on-campus school, Liberty Point Academy.
Liberty Point is located at the edge of Montgomery Hall Park in Staunton, Virginia. We are a residential treatment facility that has served our community for more than 17 years. We care for adolescent boys who struggle with behavioral health conditions and co-occurring intellectual disabilities. Our employees play a pivotal role in providing guidance, direction, and supervision to our young men. Liberty Point takes pride in providing treatment, education, rehabilitation, recreation, and cultural exposure through outings, while also providing a safe environment. Our mission at Liberty Point is to empower and equip young men toward an independent life through positive-based behavioral and vocational training, along with the help of the entire Liberty Point team.
Monday thru Friday, additional hours as needed. Salary is competitive and commensurate to education and years of experience. This is a year-round teaching position.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Education
- Hold a current Virginia or out-of-state teaching licensed in Special Education or General Curriculum K-12; or hold a Special Education conditional license with plans to fulfill the requirements to obtain a Special Education professional license
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Preferred: At least three years of experience in a classroom situation
- Preferred: Hold a current VA Driver's License
- Provide developmentally appropriate classroom instruction to assigned students according to IEP/IPP goals and objectives, student strengths and learning preferences, research-supported methods and techniques, and Liberty Point recommended practices.
- Implement the Behavioral Program at Liberty Point, assess and document students’ behavior progress (or lack of progress), and adjust behavioral strategies as needed and in consultation with the treatment team in order to maximize students’ behavioral success.
- Assess students’ academic achievement continually through a variety of methods, document progress (or lack of progress), and adjust instructional planning as needed to maximize student achievement.
- Maintain consistent communication with other staff at the facility, including parent(s)/guardians, and local education agencies by consulting with team members, attending meetings, keeping accurate records, completing progress reports, making phone calls, writing letters and updating IEP’s/IPP’s.
- Participate in professional development activities including on-site training and relevant off-site classes, workshops, etc.
- Display a high degree of professionalism in all activities and interactions with students, staff, parents, agency personnel, community members, etc.
Special Education Teachers should possess knowledge of:
- Subject matter to be taught (Va Standards of Learning)
- Theories of learning and teaching (modifications & accommodations)
- Stages of learning
- Effective teaching methods
- Assessment principles and types
- Cognitive/Behavioral/Social Learning theories and principles
- Effective classroom management techniques
- Methods for observation/data collection
Special Education Teachers should possess skills to:
- Present effective lessons
- Organize and plan instruction
- Establish classroom expectations and hold students accountable for meeting them
- Manage classroom behavior effectively
- Maintain positive relationships with students and co-workers
Successful Candidate(s) must be able to:
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds,
- Effectively use the full range of body motion,
- Successfully complete and pass all components of Handle With Care & Verbal De-escalation Crisis Intervention Training,
- Effectively perform facility approved First Aid and CPR techniques (CPR, First Aid, and HWC training will be obtained during new employee orientation),
- Reflect behavior, attitude, and appearance appropriate to the position and be supportive of the facility and division philosophy, goals, and objectives,
- Effectively communicate both verbally and via written documentation
- Maintain confidentiality
Liberty Point offers great employee benefits, including but not limited to:
- SIGN-ON BONUS -- $1000 at satisfactory completion of 6 months of employment; $1000 at satisfactory completion of 12 months of employment; both documented via formal review with supervisor (total = $2000)
- Referral Bonus
- Home/Work Life Balance
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Drug plans
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Career Development Opportunities within UHS and its subsidiaries
- A Challenging and Rewarding Work Environment
- Meals provided while on the job
- Company stock purchase discount
- Employee Assistance Program
Liberty Point is a drug-free and alcohol-free workplace. A pre-hire drug screen, pre-hire background checks, and education verification are required of all new employees.
Liberty Point Academy is licensed by the Virginia Department of Education as a private residential school for students with disabilities and is specifically licensed to serve disability categories of Intellectual Disability, Autism, Emotional Disability, Hearing Impairment, Multiple Disabilities, Other Health Impairment, Specific Learning Disability, Speech or Language Impairment and Visual Impairment. Liberty Point Academy is fully accredited by VAISEF and the student teaching requirement can be fulfilled at Liberty Point.
One of the nation’s largest and most respected providers of hospital and healthcare services, Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Growing steadily since its inception into an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, annual revenues were over $11 billion in 2020. In 2021, UHS was again recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; and listed in Forbes ranking of U.S.’ Largest Public Companies. Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has over 89,000 employees and continues to grow through its subsidiaries. Operating acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, outpatient facilities and ambulatory care access points, an insurance offering, a physician network and various related services located all over the U.S. states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom. www.uhsinc.com
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at: https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852-3449.