Technical Intern - Data Scientist
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Capabilities Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of the internship, interns will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of their project work to their respective department.
Technical Intern – Data Scientist
What You’ll Do:
- With guidance, support the Mission & Process Analytics organization in advanced data analytics and the development of qualitative and quantitative models to extract information from data for data discovery.
- Share current advances in data analytics, gained from university coursework or experiences, with team members to improve data analysis and applications for Ball Aerospace.
- Learn the art of consulting with business units, process owners, engineers, and other subject matter experts to understand their data analytic needs and provide analysis recommendations and/or results.
- Collaborate with and support team members in creating, applying, and improving process measures of effectiveness. Learn how data analytics are used to measure performance and inform corrective action.
- Support projects of various impact and difficulty by developing analytic skills: continuous improvement methodology, statistical process control, forming valued metrics, data manipulation and processing, modeling techniques, and dashboard development (using Power BI, R/Python, and Denodo).
- Use an innate curiosity to investigate new data sources, ask probing data quality questions, and strive to provide excellent customer service.
- With guidance, learn the art of the possible, how to influence and defend business cases that support the use of data analytics to meet business unit strategic goals or business needs.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2023. We will also accept students enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Majoring in data science, mathematics, statistics, operations research, computer science, or a related technical field is required.
- Concentration in data analytics.
- A strong desire to learn and excellent work ethic.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team and solo environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office tools and knowledge of Python/R/SQL/SAS/STATA/SPSS/PowerBI.
- A desire to develop business acumen with a strong balance between the business needs and process implementation.
- Ability to contribute during all phases of a project: generating or understanding a hypothesis, evaluating data needs and expectations; manipulating data to provide appropriate data sets and results; and reaching conclusions against the hypothesis.
- Knowledge of structured & unstructured data and, with guidance, a willingness to try various approaches to solve engineering hypotheses.
- Ability to develop and give presentations, reports, and documentation of work.
- Openness to interpersonal growth experiences such as: maintaining composure in a difficult situation, holding crucial conversations, the desire for continuous forward progress on a project, and focusing on the solution in the face of adversity.
- Exposure to and/or experience with process improvement, project management, databases is preferred.
- Penchant for problem-solving and troubleshooting is preferred.
Hybrid Work Environment: This position may be performed working from both the office and another location, while typically requiring working in the office less than 3 days per work week. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 - $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.