Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, (VITA) Program Intern
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, (VITA) Program is a FREE tax preparation service for low to moderate income families and individuals. The VITA Program Intern would be required to travel to different locations throughout Stark County, OH.
The VITA Program Intern will have two main job functions. The first is customer service oriented where the intern will greet and screen VITA clients at their drop-off appointment by helping taxpayers fill out their paperwork. They will work closely with the VITA Site Coordinator to ensure a positive experience for the clients. The second main job function is preparing the tax returns by studying the client’s personal information and supporting documents, then inserting that information into TaxSlayer software.
The VITA Program Intern will be stationed at the United Way of Greater Stark County main office but will need to travel to corporate and mobile locations when needed. The time commitment would range from 10-15 hours per week, depending on availability.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Within parameters established by the United Way of Greater Stark County, the VITA Program Intern is responsible to:
- Greet clients and initiate the intake process.
- Prepare Federal and State tax returns for clients using TaxSlayer software.
- Assist the VITA Program Manager and Site Coordinators in miscellaneous clerical work as needed.
1. Greet clients and initiate the intake process: Determine eligibility for services. Verify client has required documentation for tax preparation and secure required signatures. Check that all paperwork is filled out completely and accurately and make copies of client’s photo I.D. and social security card. Answer questions and explain the next steps to the client so they know what to expect after they leave their appointment. Assist the Site Coordinator in the operation of the tax clinic.
2. Prepare Federal and State tax returns for clients using TaxSlayer software: Maintain strict confidentiality when completing tax returns for clients. Follow IRS guidelines and procedures when processing paperwork. Work cooperatively with staff and volunteers to provide high-quality service to clients.
3. Assist the VITA Program Manager and Site Coordinators in miscellaneous clerical work when needed: Provide general administrative support to the VITA Team when necessary, such as filing, making phone calls, and organizing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
To perform the essential functions of this internship, the individual must possess the following:
- Must have the ability to communicate professionally; demonstrate the ability to advocate and be an active listener; must be able to build relationships and relate to people in an open, friendly, and accepting manner, showing interest in others and their concerns; display confidentiality, achieving high levels of client satisfaction
- Ability to work independently, yet function as a productive member of a team
- Licensed driver in the State of Ohio and have automobile insurance
- Flexibility in handling the day-to-day work challenges and shifting priorities confidently; show resilience in the face of constraints, frustrations or adversity, can organize and plan effectively while using good problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound decisions
- Computer literacy
- Ability to document client records accurately
- Demonstrates ability to achieve measurable results and capacity to excel in a results-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain a consistently high level of cultural competency and cultural sensitivity
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
All candidates will be required to receive IRS Certification upon start. Training and materials will be provided by UWGSC.
Preferred Educational Background: Accounting, Business Management, and/or related finance degrees.