Engineer I – III (Highway Construction Project Engineer)(Job Id 20304)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 20304 (three positions)
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $28.40 - $35.80 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E3
Closing Date: 10/03/2022
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
This position performs contract administration on a variety of small to moderately complex projects, such as reconstruction projects, structures, portland cement concrete paving projects, and asphalt paving projects. Duties include, but are not limited to, preparing project documents; compiling, analyzing, and preparing project information and data; developing preliminary design plans; reviewing plans and plats; developing final, complete project plans; providing technical guidance to peers, managers, subordinates, and/or external entities; attending and providing training; reviewing the work of others; inspecting materials; inspecting contractor's work; providing information to the public, other government agencies, internally, the media, and the private sector; planning and assigning work; and providing staff guidance and support.
A typical 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, can be expected; although, hours may vary during construction activity, including weekends.
Work activity will involve both an office environment and an outdoor environment. Outdoor work involves working outdoors in all weather and around traffic.
Licenses and Certifications:
Currently have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering for entry-level position.
Certification in one or more materials testing areas and/or one or more inspection areas is required within the first year of employment. Further certification areas will be determined by the supervisor according to job responsibility and needs. Required certifications must be maintained for continued employment. Classes and training in the certification areas are provided through the Department of Transportation.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field will be considered. Applicants should possess or be eligible to obtain their Fundamentals of Engineering or Professional Engineering license. Position level will be dependent upon experience. Prior contract administration and construction engineering experience is preferred.
- civil engineering highway and bridge construction theories, principles, and design practices;
- basic practices and terminology of computer operations and computer aided design and drafting practices;
- construction materials (preferred but not required);
- construction contract administration (preferred but not required);
- manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (preferred but not required);
- Department of Transportation policies and procedures (preferred but not required);
- technical processes and methods needed to perform duties associated with transportation engineering and construction.
- operate computers, use Microsoft software, and CAD software;
- correct application of engineering principles as they apply to highway construction;
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- read and follow constructions plans;
- interpret, comprehend, and implement department specifications and special provisions;
- provide work direction and training to project technicians, interns, and seasonals;
- prioritize daily work based on department requirements and contractor activities;
- enforce policies, specifications, and standards;
- complete plan design based on current specifications and DOT procedures;
- display high standards of ethical conduct;
- demonstrate self-confidence and take action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- develop expertise by actively identifying development needs, taking advantage of development opportunities, and applying newly learned knowledge and skills on the job;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- exercise sound judgment when making decisions and take prompt, decisive action;
- actively seek, collect, and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of project and assignments;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals;
- safely move, drag, and lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance);
- walk, sit, and stand for extended periods of time;
- routinely reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Join the South Dakota Department of Transportation! View more about this opportunity here: https://youtu.be/WdCQix5wB8A.
This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference per ARSD 55:10:02:08.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"