[Remote] Career Discovery Educator
Are you an upcoming teacher candidate looking to gain experience? Or are you looking to gain experience in the field of education and would like to teach a course about career discovery? If so, this is a great opportunity for you!
Description: We are currently looking for (4) Career Discovery Educators to teach in our Pathway to Success Program. Educators are free to build their own curriculum to guide their course and are given flexibility over their teaching style.
About the Course: The Career Discovery course gives students an opportunity to explore different careers within our society. Students will learn about resources to guide their career choices, take personality/career assessments to guide their thinking, and will develop a career portfolio that will help them develop an understanding of the profession they want to go through. Students will also work on different projects that will aid their career exploration based on their grade level.
- 3 Day Training in early January
- 11 Saturdays from 10:30-3:30 PM | February 4th, Feb 11th, February 18th, March 4th, March 11th, March 25th, April 1st, April 8th, April 22nd, April 29th, May 6th
- No outside meetings / expectations outside of those time frames - we value self-care
- Develop a unique curriculum of 10 lessons for either 9th/10th/11th/or 12th grade, depending on your placement
- Instruct a group of 15 students during each period
- Cultivate a community in your classroom focusing on students’ social and emotional growth
- Be open and receptive to feedback
- Eager to learn and teach! / No prior experience is needed as long as you are passionate about the work!
- College Juniors and Seniors strongly encouraged to apply
- Responsible, attentive to details, organized, and able to engage students in meaningful and creative work
- Preferred - Relevant expertise and knowledge. Background on career exploration and development, as well as creating a career portfolio.
You will gain:
- Fundamental experience working with students in grades 9-12
- A rewarding career experience supporting underserved students
- Internship Credit (working with your host university)
The HEROES Youth Mentoring program was designed in 2019 into a virtual mentorship program with an aim of helping underserved New York students pave a way for opportunities throughout high school. It Is important for students to feel prepared during and after high school and our program provides 1:1 mentorship to help mentees throughout the state explore their career pathway and lifelong passions. This upcoming Spring, we will be launching the Pathway to Success Program for students to immerse themselves in a unique experience.
About Pathway to Success Program:
The HEROES Pathway to Success Program is an immersive 10 session program designed to support students in 9th-12th grade through career exploration, developing their leadership skills, and becoming college and career ready. Students are taught concepts, skills, and ideas that are not commonly taught in public schools. At the end of this program, students will become stronger leaders, develop an understanding of what it means to be college and career ready, and receive substantial support, advice, and guidance from experienced mentors and professionals.
- Rolling Basis
- Final Application Deadline: January 6th