2023 Data Science Intern
Position Title: 2023 Data Scientist Intern
Department: Advanced Analytics and Business Intelligence
Federated Hermes Internship Program provides students the opportunity to gain “hands on” experience and develop professional skills as well as the ability to network with talented professionals and gain insight into career possibilities within the asset management industry. The program includes a variety of events to enhance your internship experience, provide information about the firm and foster collaboration.
Purpose of the Internship:
The Data Scientist Intern explores, prototypes and executes advanced analytic models to support specific business questions, solutions or initiatives. This internship draws on tools and methods from statistics and machine learning to perform advanced analysis, develop predictive models, create algorithms and visualize data.
- Using the latest technologies, develop machine learning algorithms and mathematical models on the Azure platform, e.g., Azure Cloud and Advanced Analytics Platform, Spark via Databricks, Azure Data Science VM, Tableau / PowerBI.
- Perform large-scale data analysis by applying a research mindset with a bias towards action and an ability to structure the solution from exploration to prototype to implementation.
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement / data modeling of existing data sources.
- Collaborate with other data scientists, data engineers, and business domain experts to identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets / develop, prototype and test predictive algorithms.
- Identify actionable insights, suggest recommendations and influence the direction of the business by communicating results to cross-functional groups.
- Prepare written and verbal communications along with preparing and delivering data science artifacts (abstract, data sources / data dictionaries, code library, research / findings, modeling / deployment report, new ideas / next steps)
- Participate in a firm-wide intern “Hack-a-thon”
- 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Overtime as required)
- Federated Hermes Tower – Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (hybrid work arrangement)
- Solid, proven grasp of data analysis required; comfort in manipulating and modeling complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from disparate sources.
- Ability to collect, organize, blend, cleanse and synthesize large volumes of disparate data
- Above average written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- A visionary / innovation mindset with a passion for learning new technologies and translating data into business solutions.
- In pursuit of a B.S. or M.S. in a STEM related field (Data Science / Machine Learning, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics and/or a related Advanced Analytics field) required
- Professional or academic exposure to data science concepts, mathematical modeling, algorithm development and computational tools on a variety of platforms, frameworks, and methodologies, i.e., R, Python, Spark (PySpark), Hadoop, SQL, Databricks required
- Proficiency with data visualization technology and capabilities
- Proficiency with programming in Python, R, SQL or similar language
- Familiarity with varying database structures
Why work at Federated Hermes?
For more than 60 years, Federated Hermes has provided world-class investment solutions to financial professionals in the United States and around the world. Federated Hermes' employees have defined the qualities of the company’s success over the decades: a reputation for integrity and excellence, a commitment to customers and employees and a history of longstanding client relationships. While each market cycle brings new opportunities and challenges to the company, Federated Hermes continues to foster employee commitment to excellence in the investment management industry.
For consideration, please go to:
Only those candidates in whom we have an interest will be contacted.