Instrumentation Technician 2 (6061)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
Exponent’s Vehicle Engineering Practice provides a wide range of vehicle evaluation and testing services. We have worked with automobiles, buses, trucks, vans, bicycles, trailers, motorcycles, trains, forklifts, tractors, cranes, mining and construction equipment, ATVs, golf carts, and more.
We assist clients in addressing multi-faceted issues related to accident causation, failure analysis, vehicle design, and electrical subsystems and provide complex component and full-scale product testing. A considerable asset of the Vehicle Engineering Practice is the Test and Engineering Center (TEC) in Phoenix, Arizona that is a highly capable test facility that conducts a wide range of tests that support these evaluations. Some of the tests conducted at the Phoenix facility include full-scale vehicle testing, mechanical and electronic component testing, and battery testing.
We are currently seeking an Instrumentation Technician 2 for our Test & Engineering Center (TEC) in Phoenix, AZ. In this role you will work as part of a technician team with a wide range of responsibilities working with our consultants in preparing for and conducting various system, subsystem, and component-level tests.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Setting up and conducting instrumented test programs of all types
- Calibrating, maintaining, and repairing instrumentation equipment and transducers
- Building basic cable assemblies and electronics used to conduct testing and to interconnect various pieces of hardware
- Troubleshooting instrumentation and other electronic systems
- Determine best test methodologies and document test execution
- Serving individually or as a team technician in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Associates degree in electronics or instrumentation, or a minimum of 3 years of applicable instrumented testing experience
- Familiarity with data acquisition, troubleshooting equipment (O-scope, DVM, etc.), and various transducers like pressure sensors, accelerometers, load cells, potentiometers, etc.
- Excellent soldering ability and electronic troubleshooting skills
- Ability to operate common hand and machine tools
- Knowledge and interest in automotive systems and electronic devices
- Excellent verbal communications skills and a demonstrated dedication to quality and accuracy
- Must be versatile, team-oriented, and willing to work overtime to meet project deadlines
The following skills are helpful but not required:
- Experience with strain gages and strain gage applications
- Knowledge of battery technologies and related testing techniques
- Familiarity with National Instruments LabView or Diadem
- Knowledge of automotive networks (CAN)
- Knowledge of specialized automotive testing apparatus, such as Anthropomorphic Test Devices (ATD)
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.