Instrumentation Technician Supervisor (6058)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
Exponent’s Vehicle Engineering Practice provides a wide range of vehicle evaluation and testing services. We have worked with automobiles, buses, trucks, vans, bicycles, trailers, motorcycles, trains, forklifts, tractors, cranes, mining and construction equipment, ATVs, golf carts, and more. We assist clients in addressing multi-faceted issues related to accident causation, failure analysis, vehicle design, and electrical subsystems and provides complex component and full-scale product testing. A considerable asset of the Vehicle Engineering Practice is the Test and Engineering Center (TEC) in Phoenix, Arizona, a highly capable test facility that conducts a wide range of tests supporting these evaluations. Some of the tests conducted at the Phoenix facility include full-scale vehicle testing, mechanical and electronic component testing, and battery testing.
We are currently seeking an Instrumentation Technician Supervisor for our Test & Engineering Center (TEC) in Phoenix, AZ. In this role you oversee a technician team that covers a wide range of responsibilities including working alongside our consultants to prepare for and conduct various exciting system, subsystem, and component-level tests. These tests range from running high speed vehicle crash tests, initiating thermal events in large battery packs, and many more dynamic tests for a diverse set of projects.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the team of Instrumentation Technicians at Exponent’s Test and Engineering Center
- Providing oversight of calibrations, maintenance, and repairs of the instrumentation and high-speed camera equipment used throughout the labs
- Working with technicians to troubleshoot instrumentation, cabling, and other electronic systems
- Reviewing and reporting data collected during all types of testing
- Managing instrumentation personnel and equipment schedule to provide coverage for test activities at the facility
- Working with consultants to define, setup, and conduct custom test programs driven by client requirements
- Working individually and within a team environment to determine test methodologies and document test execution
Required skills and qualifications:
- Associates degree in electronics or instrumentation +7 years of experience, or a minimum of 10 years of applicable instrumented testing experience can be substituted in lieu of a degree
- Practical experience in instrumentation, data acquisition, data processing, and high-speed video documentation
- Direct experience managing an instrumentation group or other team of technicians
- Basic electronic circuit design, as applicable for interfacing custom instrumentation and triggering hardware for unique test setups
- Good programming skills, particularly with National Instruments LabView, Diadem, or MATLAB
- Familiarity with test sensors such as pressure transducers, accelerometers, load cells, potentiometers, etc.
- Working knowledge of test processes and following test standards
- Versatile, team-oriented, and willing to work some additional hours as needed (limited travel required)
- Excellent verbal communications skills and a demonstrated dedication to quality and accuracy
- Ability to operate common hand and machine tools
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering + 5 years of experience
- Experience supporting instrumented testing within the on- or off-highway vehicle industry or another applicable field
- Experience with strain gages and strain gage applications
- Knowledge and interest in automotive systems and electronic devices
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.