Intern - Safety and Training
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
JOB TITLE: Intern - Safety and Training
DEPARTMENT: Safety – Cedar Point Safety and Training
LOCATION: Kansas City, MO
PAY RANGE: $15.00 - $18.00 / hour
Intern Position for Full-Time Summer 2023
Scheduled Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Other hours as required)
It's never too early to start searching for your dream career. If you're ready to apply the principles you've been learning at school in the real world, Evergy is the place for you. Hands-on experience is what our internship programs are all about. Our programs offer students an opportunity to gain insight and meaningful experience while also allowing us to identify talented prospective employees. Many of our interns go on to develop successful careers at Evergy.
As an intern, you'll have real responsibilities, and you'll work on productive assignments with actual business interactions. We know that you work hard, so we help you play hard while you are here. We provide a number of intern events throughout the summer to burn some extra energy, including volunteer events, power plant tours, lunch and learns, and more
This role will be responsible for assisting Evergy’s Industrial Hygiene group in the strategic effort to identify and evaluate workers’ job-related health exposure risks. Examples of special projects supporting this strategy include heat stress management pilots / trials, collecting of exposure data, organizing and entering worker exposure data and other critical records into IH Management Suite, and assisting in the development of summary reports of worker exposure data. Intern will also support IH’s and coordinate specific aspects of Evergy’s Chemical Control Effort (e.g., chemical evaluation and approval process, Chemical Management Committee [CMC] projects, and Chemical / SDS Inventory Spot Checks). Intern will also perform other duties as assigned by Senior Manager of Safety Operations and will periodically assist Safety Coordinators and Safety Managers for Generation and T&D Safety support organization..
Job tasks include but not limited to:
• Conduct visits and walk-through tours of Evergy sites to analyze processes and tasks occurring in the workplace; identify potential health exposures and safety hazards.
• Recommend solutions to workplace hazards or health risks identified during audits, air sampling surveys, or field studies.
• Participate in Corporate Safety audits; evaluates gaps with the safety management system, makes recommendations to address various issues.
• Participate in Continuous Improvement or Sustainability initiatives within the IH group; integrate principles into recommendations for solutions for health hazard concerns.
• Assist in ongoing efforts to promote industrial hygiene exposure assessment strategy at all levels of Evergy employees, at multiple working environments..
• Participate and lead Chemical / SDS spot checks
• Participate in Safety Operations staff meetings, semi-monthly Safety & Training Team Calls and other departmental meetings as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Candidates must be a Junior or Senior currently enrolled in a university or technical program in a Safety-related degree program a related field: Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, Biology or Chemistry.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
• Must be dependable, self-motivated, and detail-oriented and have excellent organizational and oral presentation skills.
• Must possess the ability to work and communicate effectively with other company personnel.
• Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets and databases preferred. Ability to quickly learn and become proficient in use of new computer software and programs.
• Must be able to handle multiple priorities and operate efficiently and effectively in high stress environment.
Office conditions with continuous attention to performing work of high quality and accuracy in a safe manner. With use of a company vehicle, periodic service center or generating station visits for presentations as well as occasional field inspections/observations will involve work outdoors within driving distance of work location.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know to accomplish becoming the most innovative and reliable energy company, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be. Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.