Operations Engineering Intern (Fall 2023)
Basic Job Functions:
Coordinate, schedule and prioritize solar module manufacturing operations for coater, submodule or finishing operations and activities related to this outcome.
- Working towards a degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Industrial Engineering
- Safety First mindset.
- Basic math skills.
- Understanding of production processes and equipment.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Basic problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of electrical, mechanical, or chemical systems preferred.
- Basic troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Words and Outlook).
- Understanding of production control systems, equipment run-rate, Theory of Constraints, WIP management and floor layout interaction.
- Understanding of direct and indirect material list, consumption POR, replenishment, storage and tracking system.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- The ideal candidate should have the ability to think outside the box and to develop unique and timely solutions
- Experience and working knowledge of continuous improvement tools.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Adhere to all safety procedures and 5S standards.
- Ability to take strategy and convert into actionable deliverables to meet daily, weekly and monthly P90.
- Review all key process input and output parameters, commonality study to trigger fast mixing test, and perform next level analysis to isolate the possible contributing process before escalate to engineering.
- Assist to coordinate, schedule and prioritize production related activities, personnel, projects, planning and other functions within with various crews and support departments.
- Coordinate with functional section managers for creation of new change request throughout the 24X7 operation with emphasis on standardized practices to minimize capacity lost.
- Contribute to continuous improvement in safety, quality and operations.
- Assist the content expert and point of contact for coater, submodule or finishing operations. Coordinate and drive respective area tools utilization, availability or cycle time improvement projects or related issues with regards to coater, submodule or finishing operations such as headcount planning and development, material allocation, upgrade activities, ETA execution and yield improvement.
- Drive manufacturing execution team and support groups to meet desired Operational Efficiency (OE = MU/MA) target versus Machine Availability (MA).
- Effectively utilize support teams to find root cause and resolve issue to improve safety, quality and throughput.
- Review and approve respective area process change work instructions to ensure manufacturing viability.
- Provide technical support to operations workforce development team to create training lesson plan for coater, submodule or finishing operations area.
- Train and guide coater, submodule or finishing supervisors and technicians to improve their technical competencies.
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to 12 hours per day
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, push or pull on a seldom basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on a frequent basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects repetitively on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
- All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair)
**Position is not eligible for relocation**
Please note: potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.