Software Engineer (Entry-level)
The Cleveland Guardians are seeking a Software Engineer to join their Baseball Systems Engineering team. In this position, you will have the opportunity to gain exposure to a variety of tasks – including, but not limited to, software engineering, data warehousing, and UX/UI design & development – that directly impact the organization’s ability to acquire, develop, and deploy players. Depending on your preferences, we will work with you to craft a role that either specializes in one of these areas or allows you to contribute across multiple areas. The software and data products you help build will facilitate operations and enhance decision-making across all areas of the organization, helping to answer questions such as “which trades should we execute,” “who should we select with our next pick in the draft,” and “how can we show players their data from yesterday’s game?” The position offers the opportunity to collaborate and help craft innovative solutions to challenging problems, grow from both an engineering and leadership standpoint, and work with teammates side by side in pursuit of the organization’s ultimate mission – winning the World Series.
As a Software Engineer with the Cleveland Guardians, you will have the opportunity to:
From a front-end engineering perspective…
- Learn from experienced engineers and work within a modern web stack, using Vue, Node, Nest, D3, etc.
- Work closely with your product team to discover competitive advantages in player acquisition and player development, and build interactive software and web pages to realize those advantages
- Identify inefficiencies in our users' processes that can only be solved with user-friendly software
- Rapidly prototype new/innovative solutions and demonstrate them to your product team, end-users, and Baseball Operations leadership
- Contribute to the holistic design process and help shape how we work in the future
- Have regular opportunities to engage with, and learn from, our Baseball Operations leadership group
From a back-end engineering perspective…
- Build robust data systems that improve the backbone of our data-first applications
- Transform both internal and external data sources into our central data warehouse
- Work closely with your product team and other software engineers to determine technical requirements and turn them into accessible and secure data endpoints (e.g., direct SQL, BI tools, REST)
- Collaborate with our R&D team to help move statistical/machine learning models into production
- Collaborate with our Infrastructure team to troubleshoot/enhance performance and query costs across both cloud and on-premises environments
- Be an active participant in identifying, evolving, and evangelizing data engineering best practices, constantly challenging the status quo and improving our data engineering standards
Base Requirements Needed, you should have:
- Demonstrated experience or degree in a field such as Computer Science or another STEM program
- Demonstrated experience writing user-facing application code
- A proven ability to work within tight timelines and iterate quickly
- Effective communication skills and the ability to collaborate within a cross-functional team
- A desire to learn and grow not only as a programmer, but also as a person
- A passion for baseball/sports, or a willingness to learn more about the game
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with members of the Front Office
- Ability to act accordingly to organizational values and service excellence at all times
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment
In Baseball Operations and Baseball Systems, our shared goal is to identify and develop diverse players and front office teammates who contribute to our mission. By working together effectively and collaboratively, we create a family atmosphere that supports learning as we strive for excellence in everything we do. We believe that we will achieve our goals by making evidence-based decisions and creating environments that support our people and empower them to learn.
We know that people from historically marginalized groups and those who have not yet had direct experience in the sports industry are less likely to apply for a job unless they meet every requirement. That being said, we encourage anyone who meets some of the qualifications above to apply or reach out for more information.
The Cleveland Guardians are an Equal Opportunity Employer.