2022 Graduate Fellow Data Science Co-op
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in customer facing commercial or research-based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
The Future Talent Program features Cooperative (Co-op) education that lasts up to 6 months and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Human Health Division. can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
The PhD/SciD Co-Operative Program allows students in the final years of their PhD degree to work on one or more data science projects within Our Company's Human Health Commercial division. These opportunities are designed to facilitate the transition from academia to industry for soon-to-be graduates and will involve participation and contribution in real projects being carried out by the data science team.
- Candidates will be responsible for providing analytical and technical support, which includes the collection and analysis of internal and external pharmaceutical data to assist in making meaningful business decisions
- Candidates will help to solve novel commercial analytic questions through tool creation
- Projects may be product specific or focused on issues spanning multiple products.
- Candidates will serve as the quantitative methodology expert by developing creative analytical solutions and applying appropriate statistical and/or machine learning methodologies to answer novel commercial analytic questions
Required Education & Experience:
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a PhD or SciD degree program in a Computer Science, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or related Quantitative discipline such as: Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics Economics, Computational Biology, Engineering, or other relevant disciplines
- Candidates must be graduating in the next 1-2 years
- Candidates must have fluency in at least one programming environments such as R/Python/Scala and sound understanding of OOP
- Candidates must have ability to quickly prototype solutions to communicate their results by creating endpoints, APIs, and/or front-ends (e.g. Shiny, Flask, etc.)
- Candidates must have familiarity with the nuances of data science and advanced statistical methods and ability to determine the correct method for the task
- Candidates must have demonstrated ability to problem solve independently on complex analytical projects (supporting evidence could include conference or journal papers, talks, open source contributions, articles, etc.)
- Candidates must have an interest in supporting pharmaceutical data and analytics initiatives
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Candidates should be effective oral and written communicators
- Candidates should have a history of being able to execute on minimum viable products and strike a balance between methodological rigor and project timelines/deliverables
- Candidates should have experience with one or more of the standard machine learning and data manipulation packages such as scikit-learn/numpy/pandas/mlr
- Candidates should have familiarity with managed services on the cloud (for example: SageMaker, ML Flow, etc.)
- Candidates should have familiarity with deep learning frameworks (Torch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Candidates should have familiarity with SQL & noSQL databases: Redshift/BQ/Athena/Mongo
- Candidates should have familiarity with Natural Language Processing, Image Processing, Reinforcement Learning, etc.
Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.