Junior and Mid-Level Health Scientist Consultant
Junior and Mid-Level Health Scientist Consulting Positions with Paustenbach and Associates
Paustenbach and Associates is a growing scientific consulting firm dedicated to using a scholarly approach to answer complex exposure and human health risk-related questions. Our vision is to engage with the brightest scientists to provide data-driven solutions to our clients. We approach each project in a collaborative, fast-paced environment to meet our client’s needs. Paustenbach and Associates is committed to maintaining an environment in which all of our team members feel respected and empowered to succeed and grow. We provide opportunities for you to develop your scientific knowledge from experts with over 50 years of combined experience, with degrees from top university public health programs. We currently have offices in Boulder, Colorado; Jackson, Wyoming; and Costa Mesa, California.
Paustenbach and Associates is seeking highly motivated M.S., M.P.H., M.S.P.H., or B.S. candidates for full-time positions. This is an excellent career opportunity for candidates who wish to work in a professional science field in a non-laboratory setting. In this role, you will work as part of a team to provide scientific support to senior consultants on diverse projects related to evaluating human health risks from occupational and environmental exposures. Candidates who apply should have the strong desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment, learn about and research a wide range of related scientific disciplines, and combine this information, along with their knowledge, skills, and experiences, to identify solutions to human health risk challenges. Most projects encompass exposures to chemicals in the workplace, community, or via consumer products, as well as some aspects of exposure science, toxicology, epidemiology, science in the courtroom, and/or the application of regulatory and scientific approaches to quantitatively characterizing risks posed by chemicals.
There is a heavy emphasis on reading and writing in this position, and candidates who apply should have proficient writing skills for technical and lay audiences, as well as a desire to work in a writing-intensive environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Critically evaluate published scientific papers and study reports in the environmental sciences, industrial hygiene, toxicology, epidemiology, and occupational medicine
- Perform quantitative exposure and risk assessments for clients for a variety of chemicals and exposure scenarios
- Work with senior scientists who serve as testifying experts in toxic tort litigation
- Review and summarize legal documents, including deposition and trial testimony
- Assist with the production of technical work products, presentations, and proposals
- Interact with clients on projects, both in-person and electronically
- Conduct research that may be presented at scientific conferences or submitted to scientific journals
Qualified candidates should have the following skills and qualifications:
Master’s degree, with a focus in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Risk Assessment
- Exposure Assessment
- Industrial Hygiene
- Environmental Health Science
- Occupational Health
OR – Bachelor’s degree, with substantive coursework in the above areas or a focus in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Public Health
- Quantitative science emphasis, such as Biology, Chemistry, etc.
- Chemical or Biological Engineering
Doctoral-level candidates will also be considered.
Educational or practical experience in the application of risk assessment is a plus, but not required.
Record of publishing of scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals or other applicable technical publications is highly desirable, but not required.
Must be self-motivated, highly detail-oriented, adaptable, and effective with time management.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a desire to work in a position with a heavy emphasis on both technical and lay writing.
Aptitude for multi-tasking among various projects with competing and dynamic deadlines.
Ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
Current and future U.S. work authorization is required.
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer an industry-leading compensation and benefits package. Paustenbach and Associates values and encourages diversity, equity, and inclusion across all aspects of the firm. We believe that having a team from different backgrounds, skills, and perspectives allows for us to provide a higher quality product to our clients.
Job Type: full-time
Annual Salary Range (dependent on degree and level of experience):
- Early-Career (Junior) Consultant: $65,000 to $90,000
- Mid-Career Consultant: $90,000 to $120,000
- 401(k) program with employer matching
- Generous paid time off, including sick leave
- Employer-funded health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Performance bonuses
Paustenbach and Associates is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.