Reading Tutor at LearnUp
Get paid $30 an hour to teach kids to read remotely!
Become a reading tutor at LearnUp Centers
Change a child’s life by teaching them to read. We train qualified candidates to teach our reading program. You will learn how to teach reading directly from Steve Tattum, a dyslexia expert and founder of our reading program.
Teaching reading is a great part-time job for students of all majors and backgrounds. And it pays very well!
- Have linguistic gifts (be able to say your alphabet sounds/phonics cleanly, we can teach this to you)
- Can mirror a teaching session (we give you a short lesson and you have to teach it back to us!)
- Good with kids (strong youth development history such as babysitting, youth groups, etc)
- Reliable (be available to tutor at the times and places detailed in the job description, typically during the school year we have a very strong demand for tutoring in the after-school hours from 3:00 pm PT to 6:00/7:00 pm PT. There is also some tutoring taking place at other hours since its virtual PT.
- Have strong wifi and the ability to get online for distance learning.
To make sure you will be a good fit, and have success as a LearnUp tutor, we will assess you on these skills before offering to train you in our reading program.
Our training is free for prospective LearnUp tutors ($1,800 value). LearnUp provides a stipend for tutors who successfully complete the training and transition to working with LearnUp students.
If you are interested in a career in education, we will learn how to teach reading to emerging readers. Visit our website at www.learnupcenters.org to learn more about our programs.
How to apply
Send your resume and a quick (1-2 paragraphs) cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org saying who you are, why you want to tutor for LearnUp. Tell us about your background in working with kids or teaching others.
Fill out our online application form at: https://bit.ly/hiringtutors2022
We are looking for candidates who are super reliable (be able to teach five days a week), are patient, have a gift for teaching reading, can pass our initial skills tests prior to taking our training, willing to put in the work to learn how to teach our program, is great with kids and alternative styles of learning, and has an optimistic outlook on life.
It is a well-paying, part-time job. You do not need to be an education major to successfully teach this program.
If you are interested in a career in education, learning how to teach reading is a core skill set that will make you a better teacher/educator.
- New tutors would work with 2-3 students per day.
- Our headquarters is located in San Francisco.
- We are hiring to tutor VIRTUALLY from anywhere but work PT time.
- We also tutor virtually throughout the nation. The most popular times for tutoring are after school (between 3:00 and 6:00 pm PT)
- We tutor every day Monday through Friday. We don't typically tutor on the weekend.
Reach out to Steve Hagler, LearnUp’s executive director, at email@example.com /(415) 944-READ
Note on Pay
- We provide a stipend of $450 ($250 for completing training/$200 for completing practicum) for finishing the training.
- After training, we require a 60-hour supervised practicum to put knowledge to practice. This is paid at $20 per hour.
- You will also be required to attend professional development meetings and trainings.
- After 60 hours you will test to become certified as a LearnUp tutor. Once certified, the pay is $30 per hour for each hour-long tutoring session. Operations and other work starts at minimum wage.