Intern/Co-op - Information Technology (summer, 2023)
An exciting career awaits you
At MPC, we’re committed to being a great place to work – one that welcomes new ideas, encourages diverse perspectives, develops our people, and fosters a collaborative team environment.
Marathon Petroleum Company LP (MPC) offers internship and co-op opportunities to high-performing college students who want meaningful hands-on experiences in their fields of study. The following core values guide MPC’s approach to doing business: Safety & Environmental Stewardship, Integrity, Respect, Inclusion, and Collaboration. Interns and co-ops work side by side with experienced professionals as contributing members of diverse work teams who create value for the company’s shareholders. MPC believes that how we conduct our business is just as important as the bottom line.
A co-op/internship with MPC Information Technology can provide you the valued experience needed to work in today’s competitive working environment while delivering efficient and innovative solutions.
MPC ITS offers a diverse set of opportunities which gives you exposure to different areas of our business. With the potential to have multiple sessions and opportunities, you will gain valuable real-world experience while enhancing your skill set in one or more of the following IT job positions:
This position is an opportunity to play a significant role in supporting the technology needs of the Marathon business units. This role emphasizes Business Analysis and Project Management. Work directly with internal business partners and the IT Services team to identify areas to create and deliver value-added IT solutions. Job responsibilities could include:
- Collaborate with a diverse team of IT Developers and IT Business Analysts to ensure solutions are implemented in a manner consistent with the MPC software development lifecycle.
- Gather requirements and translate them into functional specifications. Active participation in the testing process to ensure a quality product is delivered.
- Understand the security and compliance requirements of applications and business areas.
- Utilize appropriate methods, controls, and documentation.
- Contribute and assist in assignments in a team environment.
- Clearly communicate thoughts, ideas, specifications, and requirements with business clients and technical developers using appropriate means of communication.
This position is responsible for providing operational and technical support for refinery server and/or cloud network environments by working collaboratively with multi-disciplinary workgroups to seek solutions to problems. This role would work on efforts which result in improved value of infrastructure services. Job responsibilities could include:
- Perform server, cloud, workstation, and/or network administration. Server and workstation administration are primarily on Microsoft Windows OS, SQL servers, with some occasional Linux administration. Network administration is on switches, routers, and firewall devices. Cloud administration is on Azure Cloud Services.
- Monitor system health and identify issues using common industry toolsets.
- Problem tracking, management, and resolution of issues
- Learn, understand, and apply Marathon Standard Practices to Information Technology assets.
- Identify, analyze, and elevate potential Cybersecurity events according to company procedures.
- Daily activities may include system backup administration, anti-virus administration, performance tuning, Microsoft Active Directory administration, network security detection administration, administration of the physical IP cabling and IP address assignments, updating of network diagrams, security policy management, data access controls, software patch management, risk management, change control administration, database administration, and self-auditing to ensure compliance with standards.
- Implement cloud, hardware, software, and/or network solutions, ensuring a consistent application of standards.
- Recommend continuous improvement opportunities.
The IT Developer will design, build, and support solutions in a team-focused, collaborative environment that includes contributions from developer peers, architectural guidance from architects, and business requirements from business analysts. Job responsibilities could include:
- Understand how the technical landscape supports business operations and identify the best technologies to support business needs, including automation.
- Develop and maintain architectural guidelines and coding standards to ensure solutions are reliable, - sustainable, and scalable.
- Contribute to a healthy team environment, collaborating with various organizations across IT, including analytics, database management, and peer developers/analysts as appropriate.
- Ensure solutions are implemented in a manner consistent with Solution Delivery and MPC corporate policies and IT standards, utilizing appropriate methods, controls, and documentation.
- Clearly communicate thoughts, specifications, requirements, and progress with business partners and peers.
- Desired Majors: Computer Science & Engineering; Computer Science & Engineering Technology; Management Information Systems; Computer Information Systems; Information Systems & Analytics; Computer Engineering; Software Engineering and Computer Science; and other related IT disciplines
- Strong academic performance
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US on a full-time indefinite basis without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Positions are available for fall semester
- Concurrent enrollment in a degree seeking program throughout duration of experience
- Military experience a plus
- Min - $21.92 per hour/Max - $25.58 per hour
We hire for the following locations:
- Corporate: Findlay, OH, San Antonio. TX, Denver CO (Corporate Refining, Transportation & Logistics, Process Systems, and Supplier Diversity & Corporate Support)
Refineries (depending on semester): Canton, OH, Detroit, MI, Catlettsburg, KY; Garyville, LA; Robinson, IL; St. Paul Park, MN; Los Angeles, CA and Texas City, TX (Galveston Bay)
As an energy industry leader, our career opportunities fuel personal and professional growth.
Findlay OH Main BldgJob
539 S Main StAdditional locations:
Canton OH Refinery, Catlettsburg KY Refinery, Denver CO, Detroit MI Admin, Garyville LA Refinery, Los Angeles CA Refinery, Robinson IL Refinery, Salt Lake City UT Refinery, San Antonio TX, St Paul Park MN Refinery, Texas City TX Refinery
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at email@example.com. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation. To view benefit information for Marathon Petroleum Corporation please visit mympcbenefits.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability