LTS Alternative Pathways Specialist (.8 FTE)
LTS Alternative Pathways Specialist (.8 FTE)
Waltham High School
Position Summary: The program coordinator will develop a strategic plan and implement a Youth Opportunity program designed to meet the holistic needs of students who are identified as not on-track to graduate. The coordinator will manage and lead the program, staff and resources required for working with non-traditional students and their families/guardians. The coordinator will use leadership skills to improve the educational development of each teacher and student in the program; and perform related district and school duties as required or assigned. Inherent in the position are responsibilities for planning, curriculum development, program evaluation, and resource scheduling. Also required is regular collaboration and coordination with community providers of out-of-school supplemental supports.
Description of Duties:
- Fosters a school climate that promotes high standards and expectations for students and staff for academic performance and responsibility behavior.
- Maintain a daily contact log on each participating student
- Collect and submit requested data, program assessment/evaluations.
- Arrange, conduct and/or facilitate monthly student meetings.
- Run Common Planning Time meetings and professional development for staff and teachers in or associated with the program.
- Organize and sustain home visits.
- Collaborate with community stakeholders to provide participating students with community resources.
- Identify community partners and establish working relationships.
- Attend professional development training with YOI concentration.
- Communicate YOI program “news” with school administration and staff regularly and consult with Department heads regularly on growth, needs and concerns.
- Provide or refer student services and resources to meet all student needs.
- Collect data and maintain a file on each student.
- Participate in district sponsored meetings.
- Assess the students’ physical, social/emotional and economic needs.
- Provide student assessments as needed, develop an intervention plan to address assessed problems.
- Collaborate with community mental health agencies to provide individual or small group guidance for students.
- Establish desirable working relationships with students to assure constructive participation and involvement.
- Collaborate with school personnel and agencies.
performs varied and responsible duties with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action while planning, administering and executing duties. Works independently and in concert with others.
Supervision Given and Received:
Work under the direction of the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction and High School Principal. Participates in hiring of staff including teachers, student support specialists. Oversees professional development of staff.
Education, Training and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree or higher in Education from an accredited college or university required
- At least five (5) years of experience in the field of public education, including experience in leadership and teaching.
- Experience in/with secondary education, SLIFE and experience advising, teaching and working with young adult learner populations of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Proficiency in a foreign language, Spanish (preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of competency-based curriculum development and program evaluation, effective instructional strategies for young adult emergent bilingual learner, learning assessment and diagnosis, and research related to learning
- Thorough knowledge of materials, methods and techniques needed to exemplify quality instruction
- Spanish and/or Portuguese fluency preferred
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Use computers for word processing, data management and telecommunication
- Carry out professional evaluation and supervision program
- Interact with all staff effectively
- Work independently to complete all aspects of her/his job
- Apply technology to meet the needs and duties outlined in the job description
- Ability to work with diverse groups, independently and as part of a team
- Excellent managerial and leadership skills
- Develop and implement procedures to accomplish goals and objectives
- Develop positive working relationships with educators, students, parents and community members
- Evaluate programmatic needs on a continuous basis
- Work collaboratively with administrators and principal
- Provide leadership for teachers during common planning and in response to teachers’ needs and specific requests.
Salary: Please click here for our Substitute Information sheet.
Please click here to apply!
Non- Discrimination Notice: Waltham Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Waltham Public Schools has partnered with the Massachusetts Partnership for Diversity in Education (MPDE) in our effort to welcome diverse candidates to our school system. We value and prioritize the hiring of educators who bring a wealth of perspectives and experiences to our schools, and who reflect the diversity of the students we serve.
MPDE is a collaborative of public school districts with a 40-year uninterrupted history committed to supporting the interest of its members to increase the numbers of teachers of color for their schools by providing recruitment support and related services.