NPS GIS Denali National Park
Denali’s Backcountry Monitoring Plan (BMP) was published in 2006 and set standards for resource and social monitoring of Denali’s backcountry as well as eligible and designated Wilderness. Backcountry rangers have been collecting data in various forms since that time, but analysis and meaningful management action have been hindered by evolving data collection, data storage, and data retrieval issues.
This GIS internship position will work with the Denali National Park and Preserve backcountry rangers, GIS specialist, and data manager to 1) streamline the existing field data collection workflow using mobile devices, 2) produce report and layout templates for end-of-year reporting products, 3) migrate existing legacy datasets into current data standards and database designs, and 4) assist with geospatial analysis to identify trends.
This position is 100% office work. This position may include an option for fully remote work. Applicants who choose to work in Denali will be provided park housing
- Assist park Data Manager in designing workflow and scripts that automate data collection and submission using Esri mobile apps (Field Maps, Survery123) integrated with cloud storage GIS portals
- Assist park GIS Specialist in migrating legacy data and producing metadata; create web map app for non-GIS users to view data in meaningful way
- Assist Rangers in documenting monitoring protocols and creating training products
- Proficient in Esri mobile device apps (Field Maps, Survey 123, QuickCapture) and Avenza Pro
- Proficient in Portal/AGOL platforms, including limitations and map design
- Understanding of geodatabase design principles including relationship classes and attachments
- Understanding of cartographic concepts within ArcGIS Pro, including Map Series and Reports
- Understanding of Python; ideally also ArcGIS Notebooks, ArcGIS API for Python, and pandas
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident and enrolled at an institution of higher education or within two years post graduate. Graduate students and recent graduates who are currently pursuing or have obtained a GIS degree/certificate and/or work experience in GIS are preferred. Prior to starting this position, a federal government security background clearance will be required.