National Park Service – Alaska Regional Office – GIS Team – NPS GIS Intern (Data Management)
The NPS Alaska Region GIS Team provides geospatial support services to Alaska parks and programs with the goal of developing, maintaining, and supporting park-based GIS efforts. Our program integrates service-wide supported technology, staff expertise, and information products to facilitate spatial data creation, management, and dissemination, GIS cartographic products, GIS toolset development, and geospatial training and support.
We are seeking a GIS Intern to work directly with our staff in Anchorage, AK and provide data management support to our program. The GIS Intern will focus on Alaska Region Enterprise GIS implementation and Permanent Data Set (PDS) maintenance with added opportunities to develop products, toolsets, and/or guidance documentation under other GIS projects. By the end of this internship, the incumbent can expect to have increased proficiency levels for the following NPS GIS Competencies: Coordination and Communication, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, Technology Application, Information Quality Assurance, and Data Management and Metadata.
The duty station would normally be at the Alaska Regional Office in Anchorage, AK. However, the work location may include an option for remote telework with occasional travel to Alaska. Successful completion of this internship will provide the intern with eligibility for the Public Land Corps (PLC) Non-Competitive Hiring Authority.
Duties of the GIS Intern position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Organize existing geospatial data for inclusion in the Alaska Region Permanent Data Set
- Maintain metadata and data themes in Alaska Region Theme Manager
- Integrate existing geospatial data into established national and regional spatial data standards
- Establish data editing workflows and best practices for field-collected data
- Develop standard operating guidelines for data creation, management, access, and sharing
- Assist with Alaska Region GIS Helpdesk requests and other GIS projects
- Participate in weekly GIS Team meetings and other team-oriented events and discussions
- Participate in weekly Cohort meetings led by NPS GIS Internship Program support staff
- Design a capstone presentation for the NPS GIS community at the internship conclusion
A successful candidate will have a strong foundation in GIS and data management practices and proficiency using Esri desktop software and data manipulation geo-processes and tools. Knowledge of geodatabase design principles and experience with spatial data standards and metadata are preferred. This position requires attention to detail, effective communication skills, and the ability to take initiative and work independently, while also being supported by subject matter experts as needed.
Planned work will be conducted in a climate-controlled office or home office, if recommended for telework. Opportunities for field visits may become available and these field activities may take place in remote and rugged locations under a variety of weather conditions. Candidates should be generally comfortable working in such field environments.
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident. Applicants must also be enrolled at an institution of higher education or within two years post-graduation. Applicants who have obtained or are pursuing a GIS degree or certificate and/or with GIS work experience are preferred. Prior to starting this position, a federal government security background clearance will be required.