Full-time Earth Educator: Overnight Programs 5th and 7th Grade Sunship Earth and Sunship III
● Teach 5th and 7th grade students in a science curriculum-based program outdoors
● Manage behaviors in full-class as well as smaller groups
● Mealtime duties
● Special projects and light maintenance of the facility
● Set-up and clean-up
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION AND ANTICIPATED DATES:
Sunship Earth (5th grade) is a five-day residential, overnight program. Staff is required to stay on-site for the full five days and four nights. Programs run Friday through Tuesday. The program site is T.R.E.E.’s Outdoor Classroom in Covington, Louisiana. Seven sessions are anticipated between late September and December 2022. Employee is expected to work all program sessions.
Sunship III (7th grade) is a three-day residential, overnight program. Staff is required to stay on-site for the full three days and two nights. Programs are also conducted at T.R.E.E.’s Outdoor Classroom in Covington, Louisiana. Eight to ten sessions are anticipated between January and April 2023. Employee is expected to work all program sessions.
Training will occur from August 29, 2022 through the end of September. The first week will be a paid, overnight, all-staff training. Overnight attendance for this week of training, Monday through Friday, is mandatory for all Earth Educator positions. The rest of the training will occur on weekdays with no overnights.
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Strong commitment to children and learning
● Experience with teaching children
● Able to work in outdoor environments in a variety of weather conditions
● Flexible schedule
● Performance/acting skills a plus
● Must have a car
This full-time Sunship Earth Educator position begins August 29, 2022, and will seasonally run through May 31, 2023. Annually, the schedule is August 1 through May 31, which would begin in the 2023-2024 season. Beginning salary range for the 2022-2023 season will be paid over the 9 months and is $27,000 (~$15 per hour). Job training is included. Employee benefits include generous paid time off, mileage reimbursement, and consumer-oriented benefits such as allowances for wellness activities and Simple IRA plans (available after 90 days). Advancement in job responsibilities and salary will be available.
- The opportunity to teach in an academic and outdoor setting at a 1 to 4 ratio of adults to students
- The chance to learn from and become proficient with an innovative and effective model for teaching and managing students
- Learning the dynamics of community building among staff and participants at program
- Sharing your enjoyment of the out-of-doors with others
- Working with a team of dedicated earth educators
- Interacting with students and adults from diverse backgrounds
- CPR and 1st Aid Training
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT:
Anticipated start date: August 29, 2022
First read A Commitment to Quality Education, So You Want to Work for T.R.E.E.’s Overnight Programs, and A Typical Day at T.R.E.E.
Then send your cover letter and resume to Sue Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line Full-time Sunship Position, through August 15. All resumes will be reviewed at that time and personal interviews will be scheduled starting mid-August.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.