Data Analyst/Senior Data Analyst (Hybrid)
The Supportive Housing Network of New York
The Supportive Housing Network of New York (the Network) represents more than 200 nonprofit organizations that have created over 55,000 units of supportive housing across New York State. The Network uses advocacy, public education, training, technical assistance, research, and policy analysis to increase the public's understanding of supportive housing – affordable housing with voluntary services for formerly homeless people with disabilities and special needs. The Network identifies and shares best practices that continually improve the model’s effectiveness and, most importantly, encourages the creation of enough supportive housing to end homelessness among the most vulnerable New Yorkers. Currently, our members are adding thousands of units of supportive housing per year under two historic initiatives: the State’s Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI), creating 20,000 units, and the City’s NYC 15/15, creating 15,000 units, both over fifteen years.
The Data Analyst is full-time, based in New York City – or remotely based in the tri-state area (NY, NJ or CT) and will report to the Director of Policy and Planning. As the single data-focused position on an 11-person staff, this position will lead all aspects of the Network’s data collection, database management, and data analysis, with regards to the existing supportive housing portfolio and the upcoming pipeline.
The Data Analyst should be a creative data storyteller, who will work across teams to ensure we are utilizing our data in the most relevant, accurate and compelling ways to advance the organization’s mission. The analyst will design and present regular reports to our staff and relevant stakeholders, as well as package data appropriately for published reports, presentations, testimony, and press as needed. This position will also work with staff and an external implementation consultant to migrate the Network’s housing data from MS Access to Salesforce, helping to shape our Salesforce buildout to best meet the organization’s needs.
In addition to the core responsibilities outlined, the Senior Data Analyst position will develop and lead the organization’s data collection and utilization strategies to help shape our budgetary and policy agendas and inform our advocacy efforts.
Depending on the candidate’s skills and interest, there is flexibility in the role to include writing policy reports, drafting and delivering testimony to City Council, and coordinating and facilitating meetings with members and government partners. However, these are not essential functions of the position and will not be required.
- Own the development and maintenance of the Network’s housing data infrastructure, which will ultimately be in Salesforce.
- Project manage Salesforce configuration and system enhancements related to housing data.
- Track the supportive housing development pipeline and details of specific projects as they progress and enter new data in the database.
- Ensure excellent data quality by conducting systematic reviews of data for existing supportive housing programs.
- Proactively identify and propose alternatives to improve the consistency and accuracy of the Network’s housing data.
- Analyze and synthesize data to surface trends and information related to the supportive housing industry in New York State.
- Respond to data queries from members, government partners, funders, and the media.
- Design and configure dashboards to meet the changing needs of the policy and advocacy team.
- Transform large and complex data into accessible and understandable visuals to be used in fact sheets, reports, and presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Assess functionality of Excel for the organization’s data analysis and visualization purposes and make software recommendations as needed.
- Coordinate, administer, and analyze surveys of Network members as needed.
- Alongside Network staff, provide hands-on assistance with the planning and implementation of the Network’s annual events: the Gala (600+ attendees), the Conference (1,600+ attendees), the Annual Meeting (120+ attendees), and Lobby Day in Albany (100+ attendees).
Senior Data Analyst Responsibilities
- Develop and manage strategy for data collection and analysis to shape policy and budget agenda, identifying new data sources as needed.
- Direct internal efforts to better incorporate data into advocacy strategy and materials.
- Lead data visualization aspects and reporting for funders.
Optional Additional Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the writing of reports and fact sheets.
- Draft and deliver testimony to City Council.
- Assist with coordination and facilitation of advocacy meetings and member working groups.
· At least one year of experience in a data analyst position or similar role. 3 years of relevant experience required for senior data analyst.
· Database management experience - Salesforce preferred.
· Either a background knowledge of affordable housing development and finance or a demonstrated ability to learn the language and complexities of a technical industry
· Demonstrated commitment to issues of homelessness and/or affordable housing
· Public policy experience
· Strong quantitative skills, including ability to manage large datasets
· Detail-oriented, demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
· Excellent project management; thinks ahead, estimates time required for tasks, communicates challenges early and often with supervisor and team members, and looks for solutions
· Strong research, communication and analytical skills
· Demonstrates initiative and ownership of quality work product
· Open to input and feedback
· Strong Excel skills, including ability to perform V-lookups and Pivot Tables
· Proficiency in other Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
· Ability to work as part of a team as well as execute projects independently
· Creates and supports an environment which fosters teamwork, cooperation, respect and diversity
Compensation and Benefits
· Salary range:
o Data Analyst $75,000 - $82,000
o Senior Data Analyst $83,000 - $90,000
Exact salary commensurate with demonstrated expertise and experience.
- 100% employer covered medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 403b retirement plan with employer contributions
- Hybrid work schedule; a remote schedule is possible depending on location
- Generous PTO & winter holiday office closure
- Office closes at 1pm on Fridays
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary and title expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Data Analyst/Senior Data Analyst” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Network is an equal opportunity employer. No individual will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, age, gender, sex, genetics, sexual orientation, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, political or union affiliation, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruitment, hiring, placement, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, training and apprenticeship, employee development, promotion, demotion, transfer, lay-off, recall and termination.
The Network is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our employees are the most valuable assets we have as an organization. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression and unique talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and achievements as well.