Trade & Investment Associate, Technology (SAN FRANCISCO/DIT)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Be a part of the Department for International Trade’s mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high-spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, the second highest investment destination in the world, and the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
Based at the British Consulate San Francisco the Trade & Investment Associate supports the Trade & Investment Officer within the Technology sector, which includes emerging technologies, software and hardware. In this role you will both cultivate relationships with C-suite executives from top companies the Bay Area and Pacific Northwest while also supporting UK companies in their efforts to grow in the US market. This is an exciting opportunity to work with some of the most innovative and high profile global companies at the nexus of the world’s two leading technology economies. You will deliver objectives as part of the wider North America team with responsibility for Technology as well as being a valued contributor to the San Francisco based regional team. You will also be working closely with regional colleagues based around the UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Identify and reach out to innovative companies in the technology sector interested in establishing or expanding operations and R&D opportunities in the UK to build pipeline of ambitious foreign direct investment projects
- Assist the Trade & Investment Officer in developing US market opportunities for a broad range of UK exporters
- Keep pace with government policy, market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients
- Assist in forging strong relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, and other stakeholders.
- Assist with trade group visits and trade show events to foster economic opportunities for the UK and US
- Assist with high-profile visits, including UK Ministerial and VIP delegations through scheduling high-level meetings, organising activities, and preparing briefing materials
- Consult with clients to manage and coordinate client events
- Assist with cross-team projects to advance UK prosperity and trade policy goals
- Provide operational and administrative support including maintaining client and project databases
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a professional and helpful manner
- Ability to undertake research and follow market trends to identify new opportunities
- Excellent organisational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- An interest in, or understanding of, the technology sector
- When circumstances permit, must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel within the US and UK up to 10% of your time
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
24 August 2022
Executive Officer (EO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
17 October 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We offer a comprehensive platform for personalised learning for everything from soft skill development (communicating with impact, handling difficult conversations, time management) to more technical or professional skills necessary to complete your job (software training, formal qualifications etc.).
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. • A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.