R&D Electrical Design Engineer (Early/Mid-Career)
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious accommodation before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.
$86,300 - $166,800
*Salary range is estimated, and actual salary will be determined after consideration of the selected candidate’s experience and qualifications, and application of any approved geographic salary differential.
What Your Job Will Be Like:
Passionate about develop creative solutions to unique national security challenges? We are seeking a dedicated Electrical Engineering to join our dynamic team to create innovative solutions to difficult technical problems! This would include collaborating on the design, development, and integration of command, control, and communication technologies used in specialized transportation security systems. We conduct research and development in the areas of high consequence software systems, embedded circuit design, intelligent power conditioning and distribution, wireless network communications, and sensors.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform schematic capture, layout, modeling, and simulation of design performance
- Analyze performance against requirements, build prototypes, and refine designs
- Work cooperatively with other internal organizations, as well as external production facilities and suppliers
- Work with a tightly integrated team to support development, qualification, and production activities.
- Research past and present module designs to support both sustainment of legacy systems and to develop new systems
Due to the nature of the work, the selected applicant must be able to work onsite.
Qualifications We Require:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (or relevant STEM field) or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus 4 years of experience
- Experience in design, simulation, prototyping and test of analog and digital circuits
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q level clearance
Qualifications We Desire:
- Demonstrated experience realizing and delivering electrical designs
- 5 plus years' related experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Analog and Digital circuit design from concept to test and validation
- Power management (system level power supplies, sensors, etc.)
- Analog, Digital, Optical, and/or RF Circuits
- Troubleshooting of electrical modules and systems in a lab environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and complete technical work
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment, demonstrating initiative and leadership
- Active DOE Q clearance
About Our Team:
The Communications and Electrical Systems Technology Department is responsible for the development and integration of command, control, and communication technologies used in specialized transportation security systems. The department conducts research and development activities in the areas of high consequence software systems, custom embedded circuit design, wireless network communications, intelligent power conditioning and distribution, navigation systems, and sensors. Major programs supported by the department include the Safeguards Transporter (SGT), development of a new high security system called the Mobile Guardian Transporter (MGT) and an advanced concept surety programs called Integrated Surety Architectures (ISA). Robust security protection for transportation systems face many unique challenges, and requires exhaustive investigation and analysis of sophisticated system attacks and the associated development of countermeasures to defend and protect against such attacks. The use of modeling and simulation tools assists in the investigation, exploration, and development of new design approaches, algorithms, and design of experiments to validate system capabilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Job ID: 684268