Biological Field Technician - (935)
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a full time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
- Compensation: $18 - 21 per hour, DOE
- Housing: Not provided.
- Start Date: Sept. 1, 2022
- End Date: Jan. 31, 2022 (with possibility of extension)
- Location: Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa
- Additional Details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct avian use surveys for songbirds (mainly grassland birds), hawks, eagles, and waterfowl in southern Minnesota and northern Iowa. There is a possibility of raptor nest survey work in the spring. Successful candidates must be able to work in a rural field setting, work well both independently and with others, and follow field and data entry protocols. Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required. Training will be provided. An average workweek will be approximately 30-40 hours, though there may be weeks requiring shorter or longer hours depending on seasonal objectives.
- Avian surveys for song birds, hawks, eagles.
- Raptor nest surveys and nest monitoring.
- This job includes conducting field work in a remote location.
- Fieldwork will include travel on field roads into project area, field navigation, and observing and recording for avian activity (previous experience preferred).
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold). Job duties require bird identification and the use of a compass, GPS, paper and electronic map devices.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds, recording data correctly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the team leader, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Consistent communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.