Director, Budget Services
Connect passion with purpose. The Georgia Department of Public Health is the lead agency entrusted by the people of Georgia to proudly protect lives and promote healthy lifestyles in diverse communities statewide. We are committed to the health of the population of Georgia as our work impacts past, present and future generations.
What we offer. Enjoy a generous benefits package that includes a flexible work schedule, unique training opportunities, engaging worksite wellness events, wellness breaks, lactation rooms, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 13 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance; in addition to telework opportunities depending on the position.
Make your mark in public service. As an accredited public health department, we're seeking a highly qualified candidate for the position of Director, Budget Services within the Division of Finance.
Won't you join us?
Oversees activities related to budget preparation and procurement. Supervises the preparation, maintenance and management of an overall agency or division budget. Provides leadership to subordinate managers and staff.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs and supervises multiple budgets and fund sources, including planning, scheduling, and assigning work activities according to the team's skill level and the complexity and size of the projects.
- Coordinates staff activities to achieve all assigned goals.
- Ensures the development and evaluation of staff accountability and performance requirements by providing and documenting feedback to all staff members.
- Provides leadership and training to staff members in all aspects of developing and executing a budget.
- Ensures thorough, accurate, and timely reports are produced on schedule.
- Communicates with Public Health directors and districts to address specific needs and budget concerns
- Develops and holds staff accountable for timeliness, standards and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates the ability to use a systematic approach to problem solving while having the ability to think "outside of the box" when offering options.
- Ensures that all work performed by subordinate staff meets state standards, adds value for customers and promotes the integrity and professionalism of the office.
- Provides training in areas of expertise.
- Maintains an atmosphere of cooperation with district, program directors and staff.
- Conduct research, document and reports in the format required by the executive staff.
- Prepares discussion papers and position drafts with short deadlines.
- Assist in development of the strategic plan for the department by working with program and district staff in identifying their needs, performing assessments and then incorporating the budget into the strategic plan.
Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, finance or a related field from an accredited college or university AND Six years of experience in general management, accounting or budgeting, Two years of which in fiscal analysis work in a budget function.
- Master's degree
- Seven years (7) of financial and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization. Supervision of professional level staff.
- Experience working with the State accounting and budgeting system (TeamWorks, Budget Net and Budget Tools)
- Understanding of state accounting and budgeting procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge of federal grant programs.
- Strong computer skills: Excel functions, Word Documents, PowerPoint and Access.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.