Strategic Communications Associate - Navigate the Maze to Achievement
Strategic Communications Fellow
Navigate the Maze to Achievement
Location: New York, NY (remote)
Dates: September 26 - December 16, 2022
Compensation: $875/week stipend
Deadline: August 14th, 2022
Future Leaders in Action Overview:
Future Leaders in Action (FLIA) cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, individuals interested in entering the social sector, work full-time with a partner nonprofit on a capacity building project.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including time-management, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Navigate the Maze to Achievement Overview:
Navigate the Maze to Achievement (NTMA) creates access to NYC specialized and selective high schools for high-performing, underrepresented students.
NTMA is an educational enrichment program that prepares Black and Latinx students in New York City for the Specialized High School and Selective High School Admissions process and supports the students academically and socially while in high school providing SHSAT prep, High School Admission guidance, PSAT/SAT prep, Tutoring, Mentoring, Community Service opportunities, and Workshops (e.g. Time Management Workshop)
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
- Assist NTMA in creating and executing a communication plan to reach students/families, future students/families, and supporters in the most effective ways establish their social media presence and develop other ways to get their story out, (e.g., reaching out to newspapers and educational blogs to share NTMA's story.)
- Actively participate in weekly FLIA professional development responsibilities including check-in calls and virtual weekly leadership workshops
- Attend virtual leadership training retreat and in-person gatherings with local fellows
By the end of the fellowship, you will have…
- Assists in updating website that effectively tells NTMA's story
- Start NMTA’s social media presence on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook
- Create a template and launch a bi-monthly newsletter
- Helps in creating press release templates
- Written two blog articles for FLIA
- Completed a final report and video about the fellowship
- Prior experience with creating and managing social media content
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved youth and marginalized communities
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and in a team
The selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check and/or fingerprinting.
Future Leaders in Action is an equal employment opportunity employer, and women, people of color, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities, and people with unique lived experience or diverse professional or personal backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
FLIA may host in-person covenings for fellows. For in-person gatherings, full vaccination or waiver will be required and masks whenever appropriate.