Strategic Communications Associate - Road to Uni
Strategic Communications Associate
Road to Uni
Location: New York, NY (remote)
Dates: September 26 - December 16, 2022
Compensation: $875/week stipend
Deadline: August 14th, 2022
Future Leaders in Action Overview:
Future Leaders in Action (FLIA) cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, individuals interested in entering the social sector, work full-time with a partner nonprofit on a capacity building project.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including time-management, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Road to Uni Overview:
Road to Uni (RTU) democratizes the college application process, providing the highest quality information at no cost and ensuring that under-informed students can successfully navigate the convoluted world of college admissions.
RTU believes that every student (and their families) should have equal access to information that can change their lives when pursuing higher education. They are currently working to shatter the walls to information by building an interactive, online platform that will help first-generation high school students learn and navigate the college application process successfully. As they build this, they continue to serve students across the nation with daily content on social media platforms in order to keep them informed and feeling supported.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
- Develop a strategic communications content to broaden audience reach and impact
- Support Road to Uni in building partnerships with schools and other nonprofits to promote resources
- Actively participate in weekly FLIA professional development responsibilities including check-in calls and virtual weekly leadership workshops
- Attend virtual leadership training retreat and in-person gatherings with local fellows
By the end of the fellowship, you will have…
- Increased organization’s social media presence and engagement by growing itsTikTok channel through repurposing existing social media content, in addition to maintaining regularly scheduled posts
- Aim to increase Instagram following to at least 7,500
- Aim to grow TikTok following to at least 500
- Organized a large content database in a way that is easily searchable and accessible for the RTU team.
- Conducted outreach to schools in NYC using an internal database in order to introduce RTU to them and begin to form a relationship
- Identified potential new school and nonprofit partnerships through research and outreach efforts
- Written two blog articles for FLIA
- Completed a final report and video about the fellowship
- Prior experience with creating and managing social media content, especially with video edition for social media platforms like Tiktok and Instagram reels
- Familiarity with using Canva preferred
- Strong organizational and written communication skills are needed
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved youth and marginalized communities
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and in a team
The selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check and/or fingerprinting.
Future Leaders in Action is an equal employment opportunity employer, and women, people of color, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities, and people with unique lived experience or diverse professional or personal backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
FLIA may host in-person covenings for fellows. For in-person gatherings, full vaccination or waiver will be required and masks whenever appropriate.