Staff Internal Auditor
Position Title: Staff Internal Auditor
Company: RPM International Inc.
Division: Corporate Headquarters
Department: Internal Audit
Reports To: Manager, Internal Audit
Purpose of Position
RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM) owns subsidiaries that manufacture, market and sell various specialty chemical product lines, including high-quality specialty paints, infrastructure rehab and repair products, protective coatings, roofing systems, sealants and adhesives, focusing on the maintenance and improvement needs of the industrial, specialty and consumer markets. Our family of products includes those marketed under brand names such as API, Carboline, CAVE, DAP, Day-Glo, Dri-Eaz, Dryvit, Ekspan, Euclid, EUCO, Fibergrate, Fibregrid, Fibrecrete, Flecto, Flowcrete, Grupo PV, Hummervoll, illbruck, Kemtile, Key Resin, Nudura, Mohawk, Prime Resins, Rust-Oleum, Specialty Polymer Coatings, Stonhard, Strathmore, TCI, Toxement, Tremco, Tuf-Strand, Universal Sealants, Viapol, Watco and Zinsser. As of May 31, 2022, our subsidiaries marketed products in approximately 160 countries and territories and operated manufacturing facilities in approximately 122 locations in the United States, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, France, Germany, India, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. Approximately 32% of our sales are generated in international markets through a combination of exports to and direct sales in foreign countries. For the fiscal year ended May 31, 2022, we recorded net sales of $6.7 billion.
RPM’s Internal Audit Department performs annual internal control audits at the Company’s largest worldwide locations in support of “Management’s Assessment of Internal Control over Financial Reporting.” The work performed by RPM’s Internal Audit Department with respect to internal controls is also relied upon by the Company’s external auditor (Deloitte) during the performance of its independent internal control audit. RPM’s Internal Audit Department also performs annual financial statement audits at certain of the Company’s smaller worldwide locations.
In addition, RPM’s Internal Audit Department may work on various other projects on an ad hoc basis. The Staff Internal Auditor reports directly to the Manager, Internal Audit during the execution of the procedures described above. This role is expected to travel approximately 20-30% of the year.
- Evaluate the design and perform operating testing over key internal controls. Prepare summaries of the audit procedures performed and the results achieved at the conclusion of each audit. Assist in developing recommendations for remedial action to improve operations within an agreed upon implementation schedule. Conduct follow-up discussion and tests to ascertain whether agreed upon corrective measures have been implemented.
- Perform financial statement audit procedures in accordance with Internal Audit’s standard audit program. Prepare summaries of the audit procedures performed and the results achieved at the conclusion of each audit. Assist in developing recommendations for remedial action to improve operations within an agreed upon implementation schedule. Conduct follow-up discussions and tests to ascertain whether agreed upon corrective measures have been implemented.
- Respond to internal requests for support or assistance in a prompt and professional manner.
- Provide assistance to the Company' external auditors.
- Keep abreast of laws, rules and regulations issued by applicable regulatory agencies with which the Company must comply.
- Maintain personal and professional competency through appropriate participation in professional organizations and attendance at relevant internal and external training opportunities.
Laptop computer with Microsoft Office, “AuditBoard” internal control software, calculator, cell phone, copy machine, & scanner
Relationship and Contacts
- Staff Internal Auditors, Senior Internal Auditors, and Managers, Internal Audit – On a daily basis, the Staff Internal Auditor is expected to interact in small project teams by assisting other Staff Internal Auditors and Interns with the completion of their work, and working under the supervision of Senior Internal Auditors and Managers, Internal Audit.
- Chief Audit Executive - On a periodic basis, the Staff Internal Auditor will meet with the Chief Audit Executive to discuss internal audit objectives, audit procedures and audit results.
- Corporate Finance Department – Internal Audit will be responsible for auditing the activities of the Corporate Finance Department, most important of which is the preparation of the Company’s external financial statements. In addition, the Corporate Finance Department will communicate any areas of risk at the operating company level to Internal Audit for review and follow-up.
- Financial Management at Operating Groups and Operating Companies - Though the degree will vary with every audit, this position will have contact with all employees in the worldwide finance function, at every level of the organization.
- Periodic contact with the Company’s external auditors (Deloitte)
- 0 to 2 years of experience is preferred.
- Knowledge equivalent to the completion of a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field.
- Intent to obtain licensing as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills Required for Position
- Positive Attitude & willingness to travel in small teams
- Ability to communicate, learn, and be self-sufficient
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to understand and follow directions
- Business office skills - ability to use a laptop computer (including word processing and spreadsheet applications), cell phone, copy machine, scanner and calculator.