Compass Family Services is at the forefront of battling San Francisco's homeless crisis. Every year, thousands of families come to Compass in crisis and are provided with an array of services and resources to address immediate needs and set them up for long-term success. Our work focuses around three pillars of well-being: stable housing, emotional and physical health, and economic self-sufficiency. We believe that every family deserves to thrive.
Reports To: Grants Manager
Compensation: $63,000 - $66,000 annually plus full benefits
Schedule: Full time, Monday - Friday, primarily during standard business hours
Organizational Core Competencies: Accountable I Adaptable I Client-centered I Collaborative I Committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging I Resourceful
Compass secures a significant portion of its revenue through grant processes. We are looking to build our grant capacity by adding a new member to the Development team. With the support of the Grants Manager, the Grants Associate will research funding prospects, prepare grant submissions, and manage administrative functions of our grant work to secure funding to support Compass’ programmatic work to prevent and end homelessness for families in San Francisco. Specific responsibilities include:
Grant/Funder Research and Proposal and Report Writing:
- Research prospects for foundation, corporate, and government funding.
- Gather information and data needed from Compass stakeholders to support grant submissions and reporting.
- Write and submit foundation, corporate, and government funding proposals and reports.
- Maintain files, master calendar of proposal and report deadlines, and database records on grant prospects, submissions and deliverables.
- Maintain current data and research on family homelessness and other topic areas related to Compass programs and services.
- Support relationship maintenance with grant funding contacts, including scheduling meetings and site visits, writing acknowledgement letters, attending bidders conferences, and providing follow-up information and documentation to funders as needed.
Development Team Support:
- Review and proofread newsletters, fundraising letters, brochures, and other development materials prepared by other Development staff.
- Strong writing experience required.
- One to two years of experience in grant writing and reporting strongly preferred.
- Excellent research, writing, and proofreading skills
- Meticulous attention to detail combined with ability to think strategically about the big picture
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google suite, Salesforce, Zoom and experience with internet prospect research
- Flexible, patient, and adept at multitasking, time management, project management, and adhering to deadlines
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Compass Family Services
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this role is $63,000 to $66,000 annually. Compass Family Services offers a competitive benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage, long term disability insurance, life insurance, free financial counseling, and employer contributions to a retirement account. Compass employees receive approximately 4-5 weeks of paid vacation, as well as generous paid sick and holiday leave and paid time off for education.
Location & Covid Considerations:The Grants Associate will work primarily at our office at 37 Grove St. in San Francisco. Some remote work may be possible after the initial onboarding period, most likely one day per week. We have a wide range of precautions to keep staff and clients safe, including mandated masks in the building, enhanced air filtration, and daily Covid self-screenings. Compass also requires proof of vaccination against Covid-19, including booster when eligible.
Please apply through our online application. No phone calls, please.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.