Clean Energy Research Postdoc
What You Will Do
The Inorganic, Isotope & Actinide Chemistry Group (C-IIAC) at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) has an opening for a postdoctoral research associate in Clean Energy Research. The selected candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team supporting a broad range of green-house gas conversions and hydrogen production activities with a focus on developing new strategies for clean energy generation.
The candidate will engage in one or more of the following areas:
- Design and build pyrolysis reactor for green-house gas (e.g. methane, CO2, etc.) conversion
- Development of novel catalysts for green-house gas conversion
- Production of clean hydrogen through thermo- catalytic experiments
- Development of strategies to produce clean hydrogen/energy
- Generation of chemical property data to aid in the development of reaction mechanisms in molten salt conditions
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Demonstration of a strong background and extensive hands-on experience in chemical reactions
- Demonstrated experience in chemical and gas products analysis
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills as evidenced by a strong publication and presentation record
Eligible candidates must have been granted one or more degrees from a higher education institution classified as a minority serving institution and have obtained or will have received a doctoral degree in a STEM discipline by time of hire.
- Experience with standard chemistry techniques for catalytic reactions and characterization (pressure reactors, glovebox, chromatography; NMR, GC-MS, FT-IR, etc.)
- Experience with high temperature catalytic conversion and production scale-up
- Familiarity with chemical property measurement and product analysis (solid phase, gas phase, molten salt, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and plan/organize assignments to meet milestones before deadlines
- Strong work ethic, responsible, self-motivated and willing to work as a team member
- Experience working with molten salts
- Experience with continuous reaction system
- Experience with techno-economic analysis or life cycle analysis
Location: This position will be located in Los Alamos, NM.
The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory employees, on-site contractors, and on-site subcontractors unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to those working on-site, those teleworking, and all new hires.
Note to Applicants:
- For additional technical details, contact Xiaokun Yang at email@example.com
- In addition to applying on-line, please attach a cover letter describing your professional interests, career goals, and related skills and qualifications
- Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation
Postdoctoral Researcher: Competitive salaries are based on the date the PhD degree requirements were completed or the degree was awarded. On the anniversary of these dates, salaries are automatically adjusted to the next higher level, e.g. PhD + 0: $81,500; PhD + 1: $83,000, etc. For more information go to Postdoc Program.
Candidates may be considered for a Director's Fellowship and outstanding candidates may be considered for the prestigious J. Robert Oppenheimer, Richard P. Feynman, Frederick Reines, or Darleane Christian Hoffman Fellowships.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paid childbirth and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2. Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Q Clearance: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances. Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Employment StatusFull Time