Study Design and User Research Scientist (6010)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Study Design and User Research Scientist for our Data Sciences practice in Natick, MA. In this role, you will work as part of a team to plan and execute global data collection efforts, utilize and improve next-generation products, and optimize internal and external programs to support clients in the consumer electronics, medical devices, and automotive industries. You will work collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams supporting a variety of research projects and delivering the highest data quality products to our clients.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting a range of consulting activities related to large-scale local and global programs to build custom datasets for machine learning algorithms including protocol development, data collection, data management, and analysis
- Guiding experimental design and analysis of data on multi-physics systems
- Actively solving technical and logistical problems in a fast-paced environment
- Creating and leading ad hoc interdisciplinary teams comprised of consultants from Data Sciences, Human Factors, Health Sciences, and Engineering Sciences
- Planning experiments and analyzing data collected on human and non-human subjects
- Developing data analysis and visualization tools related to project management, demographics, and human-centered data
- Developing and maintaining client relationships
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- M.S. with at least 4 years of experience or Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related engineering/scientific field (such as Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Cognitive Neuroscience, Applied Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or Robotics)
- Ability to take an ambiguous question, use data to draw insights, and convey the results to a wide range of audiences
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Developing and executing user research studies using appropriate, quantitative, and qualitative methods to produce tactical, strategic, actionable, and durable insights that inform design and development
- Experience in instrumentation, data acquisition, and data processing
- Experience with large data sets
- Experience in programming languages including Python, Java, MATLAB
- Proficiency in a wide range of quantitative and qualitative research methods and experimental design
- Debugging, tearing down, and analyzing integrated systems
- Data analysis and visualization
- Machine learning data set design or optimization
- The desire to work with a diverse set of clients and engage in work outside of the traditional data science field
- Strong leadership and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to travel to a variety of global locations to support project work (up to 30% travel)
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links.
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.