2022-2023: Information Technology – Information and Analytics – Intern
Chevron believes the future of energy is lower carbon. And we know that affordable, reliable, ever-cleaner energy is essential to achieving a more prosperous and sustainable world. For Chevron, reducing the carbon intensity of oil and gas represents a tremendous opportunity to advance the global net zero ambitions of the Paris Agreement and build a lower-carbon economy.
Technology will play a crucial role in achieving this goal, and Chevron is seeking interns with a desire to thrive in a cutting-edge digital, global environment to securely advance the global energy transition. We differentiate ourselves through the application of technology, taking an approach that includes in-house expertise, proprietary solutions, and strategic partnerships.
You will be supported by mentoring programs and employee networks to excel your professional development, learn about our business and technology organizations from key leaders, and have fun with work and social events throughout the summer!
Information and Analytics is one of five job families within Information Technology. Roles within this job family understand the use of data, insights, and information to support work processes and strategic business objectives:
- Transforms data into insights for making better decisions across the enterprise.
- Develops, executes, and manages information and data architectures, governance, practices, and procedures.
- Manages the full information and data lifecycle needs of the enterprise.
- Data Scientist
- Data Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Houston, TX
- San Ramon, CA
- Bakersfield, CA
- Covington, LA
- Midland, TX
- Greeley, CO
We are looking for motivated individuals to apply data science and machine learning expertise and solution delivery to join our team! You will be responsible for partnering across the business to identify opportunities to apply data science and create data science products that deliver strong value. Successful candidates will have the skills to identify, prototype, and build data science products.
- Identify and frame opportunities to apply advanced analytics, modeling, and related technologies to data that provide insight and improve decision making, and automation
- Identify data necessary and appropriate technology to solve business challenges
- Clean data, develop models, and test models
- Establish the life cycle management process for models
- Provide technical mentoring in modeling and analytics technologies, the specifics of the modeling process, and general consulting skills
We are looking for motivated individuals to design data products and data pipelines that are resilient to change, modular, flexible, scalable, reusable, and cost effective. You will leverage data and software engineering techniques, data science to create business value through data accessibility. Successful candidates will understand the business use of data and the stakeholders’ requirements to support work processes and strategic business objectives.
- Identify, acquire, cleanse/prepare, store data, and develop reusable data products aligned with defined architecture patterns
- Partner with data scientists, making data available for advanced analytics models, and contribute to advanced analytics models
- Collaborate with machine learning engineers to scale and deploy solutions including models, documentation, training, and integration
- Contribute to the inner source development of foundational tools, and the deployment of technical services
Machine Learning Engineer
We are looking for motivated individuals to bring technical expertise, innovation, and passion for building amazing data science solutions with real-world impact to join our team! Successful candidates will drive significant value through the agility of a small startup while ensuring scale and model/code reuse to a larger federated, world-wide organization by leveraging agile practices, continuous delivery, and automation techniques. There will be no shortage of opportunities to lead, innovate, challenge the status quo, and work directly with Data Scientists, Analytics Professionals and Business experts to build and deliver innovative, value driven AI solutions.
- Consult, identify and frame opportunities to implement AI solutions that help gain insight and improve decision making and automation
- Identify data, technology, and architectural design patterns to solve business challenges using analytical tools and AI design patterns and architectures
- Partner with Data Scientists and Chevron IT Foundational services to implement complex algorithms and models into enterprise scale machine learning pipelines
- Build machine and deep learning systems optimized for scalability and performance
- Transform data science prototypes into scalable solutions in a production environment
- Orchestrate and configure infrastructure that assists Data Scientists and analysts in building low latency, scalable and resilient machine learning, and optimization workloads into an enterprise software product
- Run machine learning experiments and fine-tune algorithms to ensure optimal performance
Business Intelligence Analyst
We are looking for motivated individuals to provide data science and analytics expertise and solution delivery across Chevron to join our team! You will understand data in the larger context of the business and the value chain to transform data into insights for better decision-making through scientific exploration, analytics, and data. Successful candidates will be accountable for leading initiatives by performing data analysis, translating data requirements to technical requirements, and driving insights to business problems and decisions.
- Access, gather, and analyze data from source systems
- Help frame the business problem by providing quantitative and qualitative data analysis (data quality, availability, etc.)
- Drive insights to business problems by visualizing the data and telling a story through data (report patterns, trends, anomalies, etc.)
- Participate in the end-to-end product development lifecycle as a member of agile team
- Contribute to data analysis, data wrangling, data visualization, and acceptance testing
- Present findings and new development to help refine backlog items
We are looking for motivated individuals to provide expertise on how business workflows map to data, and how data can be integrated to build reusable data products. Successful candidates will be able to analyze the current state of data management: process, practices, tools – helping to shape future needs and serve as a subject matter expert for delivery teams.
- Understand the business use of data and stakeholder requirements to support strategic business objectives
- Collaborate with delivery teams to provide data management direction and support for initiatives and product development
- Contribute to the design of common information models
- Consult on the appropriate data integration patterns, data modeling and data quality
- Maintain and share knowledge of requirements, key data types and data definitions, data stores, and data creation process
Preferred education / degrees
- Currently enrolled in bachelor’s or master’s degree program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems, Electrical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, or related fields or equivalent experience
- Must provide a current, unofficial transcript with online resume (as proof of good academic standing) when applying for this position to be considered.
- Data acquisition, analysis, modeling, movement, transformation, and preparation experience
- Demonstrated depth in advanced analytics / data science technologies (e.g., machine learning, operations research, statistics, data mining)
- Machine Learning Engineer: Software Engineering background. Working knowledge of mathematics (primarily linear algebra, probability, statistics), and algorithms. Working knowledge of machine learning frameworks and machine learning libraries.
Preferred skills / competencies
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of enterprise SaaS complexities including security/access control, scalability, high availability, concurrency, online diagnoses, deployment, upgrade/migration, internationalization, and production support
- Experience designing custom APIs for machine learning models for training and inference processes
- Software engineering skills and fundamentals: coding (Python, R) and Github, source control versioning, requirement spec, architecture, and design review, testing methodologies, CI/CD, etc.
- Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters
- Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment visas or consider individuals on time limited visa status for this position
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast-feeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, age, mental or physical disability (including medical condition), military or veteran status, political preference, marital status, citizenship, genetic information or other status protected by law or regulation.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please email us at email@example.com.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.