Department of Parks and Parkways Social Media and Outreach Coordinator - AmeriCorps VISTA Service Year
The City of New Orleans VISTA program is implemented by the Office of Mayor LaToya Cantrell and the Department of Parks and Parkways. The City is seeking passionate individuals to build capacity to break the cycle of poverty and empower our community. New Orleans is a welcoming city with a unique culture, natural outdoor spaces, and a reputation for hospitable and friendly residents.
Chartered in 1909, the Department of Parks and Parkways mission is to manage, maintain, develop, beautify, and preserve over 2000 acres of public green spaces in New Orleans. Parkways is working to restore the urban forest, mitigate adverse effects of climate change, increase benefits for citizens, and meet community-driven master plan goals relating to green spaces.
Working with the team of professionals at Parkways, our VISTA team member will be able to use their own initiative and departmental resources to develop and expand permanent outreach and engagement initiatives, building ongoing awareness of Parkways programs, opportunities, partnerships, and successes.
This is not strictly an office job – there will be social media content to generate, community interaction, offsite events, and intergovernmental cooperative efforts. While managing and producing social media content for existing but underutilized platform accounts, the VISTA will develop offline and multi-lingual communications (think door-to-door printed materials, radio and television promotions, etc.) targeted toward low to moderate income citizens.
Being involved in the community also means promotion of seasonal community tree planting and green events in conjunction with our non-profit partners, as well as working with our greenhouse crew to expand existing basic educational programming for the greenhouse complex.
Throughout one year of service, the VISTA member will work with the Department of Parks and Parkways to develop new and expand existing efforts toward effective, inclusive, and innovative outreach and engagement initiatives that increase awareness of the services offered by the Department. Projects and activities will include:
- Coordinating and producing social media content;
- Developing offline print and other forms of communications targeting low to moderate income residents;
- With city resources, translating and promoting via multi-lingual communications to reflect the diversity of the city; and,
- Developing, coordinating and promoting community tree planting and other green events.
If you are interested in serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA, please note the following:
- AmeriCorps is a national service year requiring 12 months of service, full time work hours (M-F, 9-5, in-person) and flexible hours on occasion.
- Team members must either be fully vaccinated or present a negative test every week to work at City Hall.
- For their national service, members receive a bi-weekly living allowance of $575, reduction of education costs, health insurance, and enriching career experience. Upon completion of service, members will also receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,345 or an end-of-service cash stipend of up to $1,800.
Visit our website to learn more about our program, the AmeriCorps National Service benefits and how to apply: www.nola.gov/mayor/americorps