Engineering Technician, Supervising - Bridge
OPENING DATE: 06/29/22
CLOSING DATE: 07/13/22 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Medina, MN, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Transportation Project Delivery
Hennepin County's Transportation Bridge division is accepting applications for a Bridge Supervising Engineering Technician who will be responsible for providing technical expertise on bridge replacement, rehabilitation, and maintenance projects for Hennepin County.
Location and hours:
This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at 1600 Prairie Dr. Medina, MN 55340, and remote as job duties require. Work hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type:
This is a full-time benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as an Engineering Tech, Supervising.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Effective September 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Fully vaccinated” means 14 days after receiving the second dose in a two-dose vaccination series approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a full or emergency-use basis, or 14 days after receiving a single-dose vaccine approved by the FDA on a full or emergency-use basis. After a conditional job offer is made, the candidate must show proof of full vaccination prior to their start date. A COVID-19 vaccination card from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a vaccination record from your doctor’s office, or a personal digital vaccination record constitutes sufficient “proof.” The candidate must also attest they are vaccinated by completing a form on the first day of employment. Reasonable accommodations to this vaccination requirement will be considered upon request by a candidate for medical or religious reasons as required by applicable law.
In this position, you will:
- Assist project manager with plan preparation of bridge design projects, including implementing standard design practices, computer aided drafting, organizing internal and external project meetings, and preparing cost estimates.
- Produce detailed construction plans and specifications for bridge projects by applying design criteria that include complex geometric layouts, developing typical construction sections, profile grades, and drafting functions.
- Interact and coordinate with internal and external clients/committees, including public and private agencies, citizens, or other affected interest groups during the design or construction phase of projects.
- Review and oversee activities of engineering technicians.
- Provide assistance as needed to other divisions within the department.
- Assist in completing bridge inspections.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Nine years or more of experience in technical non-professional highway, land survey, geographic information systems application, or related engineering work, two of which must have been as a lead worker providing work direction to other technicians.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in civil engineering, environmental engineering, water resources management, or closely related field and five years or more of experience in technical non-professional highway, land survey, geographic information systems application, or related engineering work, two years of which must have been as a lead worker providing work direction to other technicians.
- Associate's degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, water resources management, or closely related field and seven years or more of experience in technical non-professional highway, land survey, geographic information systems application, or related engineering work, two years of which must have been as a lead worker providing work direction to other technicians.
- GISP Certification or LSIT (Licensed Surveyor in Training) may be substituted for 5 years of experience. Current Certified Survey Technician (CST) Level 4 OR Licensed Land Surveyor (LS) may count for 8 years' experience.
- A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
Nice to have:
- Experience with bridge or roadway design, plan preparation, cost estimating, or field inspections.
- Proficiency with software programs such as ArcGIS, CAD/Microstation, Bentley design software, Microsoft Office tools and other spreadsheet, database, and word processing packages.
- Ability to:
- Implement the principles and practices of civil engineering in the design of engineering projects and programs.
- Read and interpret the AASHTO & MnDOT LRFD, MnMUTCD, MnDOT Standard Design Manuals and Technical Memos, construction plans, specifications, and other written forms of design guidance.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with county team members and consultants, vendors, contractors, other public agencies, private utility companies, affected property and business owners, and the public.
- Work well in a team environment and contribute to team success.
- Prioritize tasks using strong time management skills.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Make independent engineering decisions using engineering techniques and procedures.
- Coordinate work activities with county and contracted staff for successful project completion.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering.
- Skill in remaining highly organized and attentive to project details.
About Transportation Project Delivery:
We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check.