Business Systems Analyst (Information Systems Specialist 5)
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity for a Business Systems Analyst (Information Systems Specialist 5) in Hillsboro, Oregon.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. The Laboratory and Environmental Assessment Division’s (LEAD) mission is to provide timely, high quality data and information through monitoring, laboratory services, and data analysis. The Division serves the Agency programs and regional offices throughout Oregon and provides the scientific information necessary for the agency to achieve its mission to be an active leader to restore, enhance, and maintain the quality of Oregon’s air, water, and land. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
You will provide a variety of technical, analytical, and data steward services to the Laboratory programs. This will include supporting Laboratory business needs regarding coordination, data management, reporting, planning, and business system analysis, as well as supporting Commercial Off the Shelf Systems (COTS) used to house the laboratory water and air quality data.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 11 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon's environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: 4 years of information systems experience OR a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Information systems experience in communications, software, hardware, and data.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, SQL, SSRS, R studio, current Visual Studio, .NET and other data manipulation software.
- Experience developing, collecting, modeling, and managing data sets and systems, preferably environmental data sets.
- Experience designing small databases, data tables, queries, and reports.
- Experience conducting system analysis, including identifying system requirements and choosing appropriate data management tools.
- Experience developing processes, procedures, and techniques.
- Excellent analytical skills, planning skills, organizational skills, time management skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience providing technical consultation and advice to managers, technical and professional IT staff, and system users.
- Experience analyzing and diagnosing user problems and implementing solutions.
Work is primarily in a professional office setting with multiple demands on time. There may be extended working hours during legislative sessions or emergencies. The location of the office is within an environmental laboratory with the potential for exposures to chemicals, heat, cold, steep or unstable surfaces, stairs, bending, stooping, and lifting. This position requires occasional travel on official State business for meetings, conferences, trainings, and public hearings, some of which may include overnight stays.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information on veterans’ preference, please visit Veterans Resources, or call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at: 1-800-692-9666. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information. Please note: the salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect an additional 6.95% (6% goes to PERS and .95% covers payroll taxes). Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity. DEQ is an E-Verify employer and will use E-Verify to confirm that hires are authorized to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 347-5759. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.
Are you interested in an Informational Interview with DEQ to learn more about working at DEQ, how current DEQ employees got to where they are today, and what opportunities there may be for you at DEQ? Please go here and complete the form: https://www.oregon.gov/deq/about-us/Pages/humanresources.aspx. Please note that informational interviews are not tied to an open recruitment. If you complete the form above, you will be put in the queue to have an informational interview with a Hiring Manager from our Informational Interview Registry.