Graduate Student Internship - Raw Water
Graduate Student Internship Opportunity
at Valley Water
The Santa Clara Valley Water District (Valley Water) provides Silicon Valley safe, clean water for a healthy life, environment, and economy. The Raw Water Operations Unit at Valley Water operates a countywide raw (untreated) water distribution system in the Santa Clara County consisting of 10 local surface water reservoirs, transmission and distribution pipelines, and three pump stations. Raw water is delivered from the reservoirs to tens of miles of streams and about 100 recharge ponds in the county for percolation into the aquifers and recharging the groundwater basins, as well as supporting the fisheries and aquatic habitat in the creeks. The raw water transmission pipelines deliver imported water from both the State Water Project and Central Valley Project as well as local water from two in-county reservoirs to three water treatment plants, local creeks and ponds for groundwater recharge, and untreated surface water customers.
Valley Water has Lake or Streambed Alteration Agreements (LSAAs) with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The LSAAs for Uvas and Chesbro reservoirs in the southern part of the county include establishing a pilot turbidity monitoring program. The Raw Water Operations Unit is looking to hire a graduate student intern who enjoys field work as well as office work involving data analysis and GIS. The intern will support the turbidity monitoring program and LSAA compliance. Also, the intern will have the opportunity to learn about all aspects of water supply and raw water operations and to support staff on a multitude of related assignments.
· The candidate holds a bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, environmental studies, or a related scientific field.
· The candidate has already started their graduate studies at a local university in the San Francisco Bay Area or will be starting in Fall 2022.
· The candidate is (or will be) pursuing graduate work in Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 in civil/ environmental engineering, water resources management, environmental studies, or a related scientific field.
· Time commitment: 1 to 1½ years while enrolled in a graduate program.
· Available to work about 20 hours per week.
· Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Comfortable with working outdoors and using field instruments to collect data from the creeks
- Able to manage large data sets
- Experienced Microsoft Excel user
- Intermediate level in a GIS software
- Fast learner/self-motivated
- Has technical writing skills
- Possesses a California Driving License
· Please e-mail a résumé and a cover letter expressing your interest in the position to the intern’s supervisor John Pfister and copy the unit manager Bassam Kassab:
o To: John Pfister: JPfister@valleywater.org
o Cc: Bassam Kassab: BKassab@valleywater.org
· Please use the following e-mail subject line: Graduate Student Internship Opportunity
· Application deadline: July 15, 2022.
· Interviews will be conducted in late July 2022 on Zoom.
· Compensation: $30.31 per hour.
Contact Bassam Kassab at BKassab@valleywater.org