Planning - College Intern
The City of Pittsburg's Planning Department is looking for an INTERN to assist with various projects.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with planning and land use concepts with college-level coursework in planning or a related field. Successful candidates will possess strong customer service skills (on the phone and in person), computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook). Initial tasks include copying, scanning, and organizing hard copy project files, maps and drawings consistent with the City's records policies. This will be an insightful experience of mentorship and development that supports the Department's mission.
Duties may include the following:
- Review and communicate with the public on zoning of parcels and General Plan Designations
- Coordinate receiving of planning materials and update planning applications
- Gathering and reviewing zoning requirements of development projects and presenting them to Senior Planning staff.
- Functional and technical skills in Microsoft Office, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Participates in field activities and special studies as assigned
- Assist staff in required field visits and prepares office reports of various planning activities.
- Under close supervision of Senior or Associate Planner completes routine technical support of ministerial/discretionary land use applications.
- File and organize planning contracts and administrative files.
The City of Pittsburg was recognized in 2019 by Earn & Learn as a proud internship partner. In addition to receiving a paid internship, the intern will gain valuable work experience to prepare for additional career opportunities.
Selected candidates is limited to work up to 999 hours per fiscal year.
About the Planning Division
The Planning Division facilitates new development consistent with the City's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other State, Federal and local regulations to maintain and enhance the community's quality of life through safety, revenue streams, and sustainability.