Send Silence Packing Display Coordinator
Active Minds is seeking energetic, dedicated, and responsible individuals to travel the country with our two Send Silence Packing® (SSP) displays (two coordinators per display). The coordinators will travel by truck managing 20+ displays over 2–3 months.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high school and college campuses, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Travel: Coordinators will share responsibility for driving a 16-foot box truck between sites, launching in and returning to Washington, DC
- Client/host interfacing: Set up site visits, answer questions, coordinate times, discuss logistics, etc. with event hosts to ensure a successful event
- Proactive engagement: Engage in discussion with and offer resources to event participants and passersby
- Volunteer management: Educate site volunteers on SSP program and goals. Effectively manage 15-30 on-site volunteers to help with set-up, tear down, and staff the event throughout the day
- Equipment management: Track inventory and quality of program equipment and materials ensuring the best possible appearance and display experience
- Media correspondence and donor engagement: Represent Active Minds and Send Silence Packing to on-site local media outlets, and engage with donors on-site, when appropriate
- Social media and storytelling: Contribute to the online presence of the program by providing images for social media and written content on the Active Minds blog, in collaboration with the Active Minds Communications team
- Consistent communication, tracking, and reporting: Attend weekly virtual check-ins with the Send Silence Packing Manager, submit reports after every event, report incidences, etc.
- Professional representation of Active Minds: Act as ambassadors of Active Minds while on the road including adhering to the utmost standards of professionalism
Coordinators will receive training in current trends in mental health, relevant information to do with suicide prevention, how to engage with and support passersby, media training, and more. Prior knowledge of the field of suicide prevention and mental health is a plus, but not required.
Coordinators are paid $18/hour for displays, drivetime, and site visits, up to 40 hours/week, and $27/hour for overtime above 40 hours. Lodging is covered by Active Minds and daily food stipends are provided.
Qualified candidates must:
- Have a valid U.S. driver’s license, a clean driving record, and the willingness and ability to drive a 16-foot truck for extended hours.
- Be able to engage in moderate lifting and be comfortable with manual labor.
- Be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus including available boosters.
- Available to be on tour uninterrupted between September – November 2022.
- Have an outgoing personality and be willing to interact with display hosts, volunteers, and attendees
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter (explaining your interest, experience, qualification, and availability within the aforementioned timeframes) through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important for us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.