Communications Internship, Video
Reports to: Director, Video
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Internship
Minimum compensation: $16.10 per hour
Are you a budding filmmaker with a passion for social justice and progressive issues? American Progress has an opening for a fall intern to join the Communication department’s creative and fast-paced Video team. This team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies and values.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
This intern will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
This intern will learn many skills needed to be a successful visual communicator at a progressive nonprofit by working on videos that will be featured on American Progress’ websites and social media channels. They will also have a front-row seat to American Progress’ many events featuring progressive luminaries.
Ideal candidates will have the ability to envision and create compelling video content. With the public more oversaturated by media than ever before, the Video intern will be interested in learning how to script, create, and optimize video content that will break through the clutter and grab people’s attention. This internship is best suited for film, photography, or visual journalism students with a digital media background who are seeking hands-on experience with a fast-paced team.
A strong candidate for this role will have basic training in technical skills—including cameras, editing software, and graphic design—and a strategic perspective on how to produce, script, edit, and manage video projects for digital platforms, with an emphasis on optimizing content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Work with the Video team and American Progress’ policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using video to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Pitch video ideas to policy teams.
- Learn and provide extra capacity to script, edit, animate, and subtitle rapid-response and storyteller videos.
- Assist on shoots if opportunities arise.
- Identify existing footage to repackage and recut that fits into current campaigns and allows the Video team to capitalize on rapid-response opportunities.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in video production.
- Provide research and advocacy support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Strong sense of storytelling, narrative flow, and an eye for design.
- Familiarity with video cameras, lighting, editing software, and motion graphics.
- Experience in motion graphic or graphic design with Adobe Creative Cloud and various HD cameras is a plus.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Interest in public policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Familiarity with different types of traditional and social media.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please send a resume and clips reels, if available.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $16.10 per hour. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays. Interns are expected to be available to work from and commute to American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office at least two days per week. This position is not represented by a union.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.