Readiness and Resiliency (R2) Research - US Army Garrison Italy
The U.S. Army Garrison-Italy is offering undergraduate level internships at Camp Darby and Vicenza, Italy.
What will I be doing?
As an ORISE participant, you will join a community of scientists and researchers in an effort to facilitate discussions among key individuals concerning the overall health of USAG Italy (physical, psychological, spiritual, family, and social), to include Darby and Vicenza Military Communities. You will contribute to monthly working groups and the CR2C and provide quarterly updates and visibility presentation to senior leaders.
There will be three key project objectives during the course of this research project:
- Identify population needs through surveys, focus groups, or data analysis
- Community outreach to inform and increase awareness of services, resources, and events
- Collaboration with key stakeholders to contribute to the overall USAG Italy R2 Strategic Plan.
Why should I apply?
Under the guidance of a mentor, you will engage in a variety of research activities, including::
- facilitation of working groups, program management and strategic planning
- Navigation of Department of Army Strategic Management System
- Outreach to community of various initiatives, opportunities to brief senior military leaders
Where will I be located? Vicenza or Camp Darby, Italy
What is the anticipated start date?
Exact start dates will be determined at the time of selection and in coordination with the selected candidate. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and internships or fellowships will be filled as qualified candidates are identified by USAG-Italy staff.
What is the appointment length?
This appointment is a twelve month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
You will receive a stipend to be determined by USAG-Italy. Stipends are typically based on a participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE
- Training and Travel Allowance
The US Army Garrison Italy headquarters is located on Caserma Carlo Ederle, an Italian Army base in Vicenza, Italy. The garrison manages the day-to-day operations for the installations in the Vicenza, and Camp Darby military communities in coordination with our Italian partners, supporting the service members, family members and American and Italian civilian employees who live and work here. USAG Italy supports several units, including the U.S. Army Southern European Task Force, Africa (SETAF-AF), elements of the 173rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), the 207th Military Intelligence Brigade (MIB) Theater (T), the 21st Theater Sustainment Command-Italy, the 509th Signal Battalion, the U.S. Army Health Clinic Vicenza, the Vicenza Dental Clinic, AFN Radio and Television and other units and organizations. USAG Italy also supports U.S. military units located in Livorno, Italy as part of the Darby Military Community.
This program, administered by Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and DoD. Participants do not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DoD or any other office or agency. Instead, you will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. Health insurance can be obtained through ORISE. For more information, visit the ORISE Research Participation Program at the U.S. Department of Defense.
The qualified candidate will be currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree. Applicants for this opportunity should already have an ID card to access the installation and be covered under the Italian SOFA status.
Highly competitive applicants will have education and/or experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience in planning and developing methods to monitor goals and objectives
- Experience in developing plans for evaluation and research
- Experience in applying a variety of communication methods and techniques to market and promote activities
- Ability to identify components of evidence-based health promotion programs based on behavioral change theories
- Experience in public speaking
- Ability to collaborate effectively with higher headquarters and other agencies in the community
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Google Docs, and Social Media platforms