Sports Reporter - Penn State Football
PennLive is looking for a versatile sports reporter to join its award-winning Penn State football coverage team.
This position will provide the opportunity to join a major college football beat, writing for a passionate fanbase that really engages with our coverage.
The candidate must have the ability to be flexible, reporting on everything from recruiting to game day coverage, breaking news to long-form features.
The candidate should be self-motivated and able to generate ideas. When writing on breaking news, it will be important to not just get the post out, but find ways to further the story and provide analysis and depth.
For this role, candidates must be able to identify trending and compelling stories that engage readers. The position requires the ability to work fast and write clean.
The ideal candidate should also be able to balance the day-to-day work of a beat writer with finding opportunities for in-depth pieces.
Nights, weekends and ability to travel required.
Job requirements include:
- Degree in journalism, communications, or related field or equivalent experience
- Proven talent in journalism reporting and writing
- Experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction
- Skills for utilizing a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
Share samples of your best work or a list of story links when you apply.