The employee will serve as a Community Planner (Transportation) responsible for overseeing and administering Federal-aid transportation planning programs and activities for developing transportation plans and work products that lead to implementable transportation projects or programs. Guides State Department of Transportation, Metropolitan Planning Organization(s) (MPO), and local government officials regarding assigned areas of the Transportation Planning program.
As a Community Planner (Transportation), you will:
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to Division staff and state Department of Transportation and MPO staff on current Federal planning requirements, policies, procedures, and guidance.
- Oversee the development of transportation planning processes, programs, and products and assess the adequacy of State and Metropolitan Planning processes to meet Federal transportation planning requirements.
- Explain requirements, negotiate working agreements, exchange and review information, and resolve problems with the state Department of Transportation, MPO officials, and other interested parties.
- Promote developing and applying strategic and effective transportation planning management systems and lead in the implementation of new transportation planning program requirements and best practices.
- Serve as a point of contact for the functional areas of the Environment.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced mid-career transportation planning professional with the skills and abilities to represent the agency to Federal effectively, State and local officials, and the general public. This candidate is someone with good communication, negotiation, and partnering skills who desires to work in a challenging, complex, innovative environment.